had agreat 4 dats fishing the pier from wed to sun morn caught fish everyday my question is and im just tring to get some other feed back the temp were right the bait was there but no salmon caught one thru morn lots of skams around but no kings.just wondering on thought as to why the kings werent around with evrything right the water, the bait ,the time of year but no kings,whats your opion?

Unless you were fishing a port where the river has a history of early salmon runs (Little Manistee, Pere Marquette, White...) I think it is a little early to expect salmon off the piers in any numbers. Down off St. Joe when when the Skamania hit the river mouth the action was often wild but it was rare to catch a slamon -- all summer run steelies. Skamania "normally" hit the piers to run the river when water temps get cool near shore due to wind or rain in late June through early July. This year everything has been pushed back quite a ways. We are seeing early July patterns in late July.

If there were any salmon around, I would expect to have the best action very early in the day -- before sunrise until maybe 6 am. Especially if the seas were calm. If there were alewife on the pier heads any salmon may have been feeding on the outside of the schools and not coming all the way to shore.

Pier fishing is a funny thing. The kings did not show up at the pier, because there is plenty of bait off shore. When "All" the bait comes in the kings follow. (June and July) They are in there feeding at night and head back off shore till they feed again.

Dave

Last summer mid July the lake flipped and we boxed out two nights in a row. First night 12 kings 2 steel and a brown, next night even mix of king and steel with a nice laker. All year classes of kings, not just matures. Sometimes kings show up, sometimes not. But anything will hit a thin fish...

thanks guys been fishing the piers all my lifeand know itst a funney thing just want to get some other inputs iseem to do better when the lake flips in june than july and some times august for the kings and cohos and they do feed at night thats when ido my best usally put in many hours over the years to find out that 0 times out of ten they feed every 4 to 5 hours wed night they feed for 3 hours it was crazy thanks for the input