Michigan Camping and Boating

Plugs

There was a thread lately about this in Wisconson and I am curious about something similar in Michigan. Are there any good places where you can set up in a Marina and pitch a tent next to, or near the boat? My family loves to camp, but since we have gotten a little larger boat a few years back, we have not done as much as inland lakes are typically difficult to access with a 25 ft boat.

Ideal would be to have access to the big lake from a slip and be able to have a tent within walking distance where we can have fires and somewhat of a normal camping experiance. The boat is big enough for us to sleep on, but for anything more than 1-2 days would be a bit much.

Thanks for any advice!

Shane,

Fishermans landing in Muskegon. full camp sites, they have a long dock that you can tie the boat up to, down side is no power at the boat.

State park in North Muskegon has a ramp thats ok, but water level on that side of the lake is really low.

the state marina in Pentwater then a few blocks away is the State park.

Starport Marina and Thompson's Marina (site sponsor) are both in Ludington and you can camp at both with the boat right out the front door. I know that Arcadia has a campground/marina but I have never been there. Insta-Launch in Manistee offers slips but it would be tough for you to get your boat out to the lake. We have stayed in Frankfort before, it's only a couple of blocks from the campground to the launch, I can't remember the name of the campground. At Grand Haven you can camp on the water but have to slip your boat seperately, but it's close. Same with Holland, both are state parks. Those are all I can think of off the top of my head, unless you want to fish walleye.

I know insta launch marina in Manistee is very shallow and the biggest you can get in there is about a 20ft glass boat maybe. I would check out Thompson Marina in Ludington though, fairly close to down town dinning and bars, also 20 minutes from getting your boat on plane.