The Edmund Fitzgerald: Nov. 10, 1975

News

I'll never forget this horrific day, and many days afterward. It was as if many people in Michigan were frozen in time, all in terrible shock and disbelief. That gale of November 1975 reportedly had 35'-45' waves during the height of the storm, and some claim 3 rogue waves in excess of this hit the sides of the ship that foundered with 29 lost souls. Gordon Lightfoot's song was a real heart string pull, and lived on as the only song I know of about the tragedy, now famous and still a heart pull for me. God rest those brave and hearty sailors, and pray this kind of story never happens again.

1Maniac, how deep was the water she sank in?: it was my opinion it was as long as the ship was, about 400' or more, which makes that statement awkward, thanks. The song has it's significance in being the "only song" that actually tells the story of what we knew at the approximate time of the disaster, not what we know now. It's a famous song now, and should not be taken lightly, by either sailors or common fisherman that venture into deep waters, not just then, but as far as I'm concerned, forever. Safety is of the utmost.