where to mount Fish Hawk Triducer?

Guys-

Thinking about the best location. In the pic, you can see what I have.

My sonar t/d is a Airmar P66 50/200. Next to it is a bracket from an old broken t/d which I am going to remove.

On the other side there was another old t/d that is also leaving.

I would mount it on the kicker side but I dont think that would work.

The only other spot is where the broken t/d bracket is on the starboard side.

do you think this will work? Any thoughts are appreciated!

thanks

picture_133.jpg

Looking at your boat's transom, I think I would do the following:

1. Mount the FH triducer where the old one was on the port side. When you are trolling on the kicker having the FH triducer near the big motor shouldn't be an issue. When running with the big motor, the FH triducer should still work fine for surface temperature readings which is what you're looking at anyway.

2. I would consider moving the FF transducer to where the old unused/broken mount is at. With its current location in front of the main OB prop and close to the centerline of the hull, I would suspect you might be having trouble getting good readings under power due to turbulence of the big OB's prop. The starboard side of the OB is best for the transducer, but having it a minimum of 3" outside the prop spin radius usually gives the least potential for problems.

Mounting the FH triducer where the old broken/unused mount is on the starboard side will also work. Neither OB will affect it there and you shouldn't have any problems with the signals from the FF transducer -- the FH frequency is 70 KHz which is not close enough to the FF's 50 or 200 KHz to be a problem.

the ff t/d works just fine where it is, its not getting moved. I do not troll with the big motor and have never had an issue with it in that location.

thanks for the advice on the Fish Hawk t/d!!

I thought I had read in the directions that the 50hz setting might interfere with the 70?

If not I wont worry about it

I have the X4 transducer and my Raymarine DSM250 50/200 mounted with about 5.5' of separation (one on each hull on the cat) and run it in 50 KHz mode most of the time when trolling and the gain up at 80%+. No problems at all. On my previous V hull boat the FH 840 transducer and the FF transducer were about 2.5' apart without problems. The X4 and the 840 use the same frequency and transducer.

I think that I'd probably mount the FH transducer on the side you most likely will use the probe but that may not matter either. I have mine on the port side with the display near the port transom downrigger so that it is easy to move the ball/probe up/down and see the display. When that rigger had a problem I did use it without problems on the starboard transom rigger and the outdown on the port side without problems. Have not used it with the starboard outdown but the other two are a good 5' farther away than the "normal" location.

Good to hear that your current FF transducer position works well. Many boats wold have issues with good readings on plane in that location.