salmon fishing in lyons

Hello new to the site I heard they are seeing alot salmon in lyons. wondering if anyone could verify and also any good spots to shore fish the river there. thanks. Was down at 6th st. today from 2pm-7pm using wobble glows and flies with no luck. If you know any other spots within an hour of grand rapids they would work to. I do have a small fishing boat too just dont know where to go.

No good reports for the last couple of weeks or so. Seems the first run of ho's and steel was quick. No reports of any kings where we fish as of yet..fish are sporadic not to say you can't get into a run....need the lake to turn and RAIN!!!!! good luck.

Welcome John. I used to fish the Lyons dam for steelies quite a bit when I lived and worked in St. Johns. By the time the kings get up there they are pretty dark and nasty. The coho can still be fresh and feisty if you are lucky enough to hit them as they go through. If you do fish Lyons there should still be a deep run on the west side of the river downstream of the bridge. It always held some kind of fish (walleye, pike or salmonid). There is a gravel bar across the river from it and a few runs and tailings downstream. The water between the dam and bridge is deeper but this year could be wadeable. I fished Webber Dam more as its much bigger and there is more fishable area. You can work the river up there on either side (west has a deeper run) and then downstream of the island there is a gravel bar and run. If you go far enough downstream where Goose Creek enters there is a hole on the east side where it comes in with a gravel bed behind it. Not to mention the area up by the dam and spillway but it tends to get a little more crowded up there. Good luck.