Another weekend affected by the weather

Made the commute over to the west side on Friday night. With the forecast calling for heavy winds out of the north we were unsure about making it out for salmon on Saturday. Woke up on Saturday to find bigger waves then we wanted to fish. Thought about doing harbor patrol, but I'm not a fan of traffic, so we opted for some pan/perch fishing in Portage lake instead. Got out of the wind and anchored up, and once the sun came out it was a fantastic day. We caught all the perch someone could want, however, most of them were DINKS.

I was reeling in a perch when this hit, it actually hit the perch

090812141306.jpg

I'm not sure how big it was, we're thinking between 6-7#, it was a MONSTER. Had to net it with my salmon net.

After blowing through all of our wigglers and minnows we rigged up for some trolling around the lake, as salmon come in there from time to time. We started trolling when this thing hit a dipsy with a green on white spinny with a green fly behind it, another fine specimen......:thumb:

090812160556.jpg

Had dinner and checked the lake, it looked to be laying down. So Sunday morning was a green light. Hit the lake at O' dark 30 and proceeded to search for some silver. Tried in shallow with not many marks and no action, so we slid out to the west over the shelf. went 2/4 with a coho and a steelhead. Ho off the rigger 40 down moonshine mage spoon 1/2 white 1/2 black with ladder back tape on it. steel off a dipsy no ring 125 back spinny / fly

Not a total loss for the weekend. Seems everytime I have a trip planned to fish the wind and conditions are less than ideal. 2 more trips to go, hopinig we can end the season on a good note.

We were in Manistee last week and drove around portage lake on Friday after the rain chased us off of the big lake. Did not drop the boat in since we were heading out on Saturday. But we were curious a out the fishing. Thanks for the report. We will keep it in mind for the next trip.