Man Dies In Hunting Accident

Dv8oR

TYRONE TOWNSHIP - A hunting accident in northern Kent County has left a Courtland Township man dead. The accident happened around 7:45 Sunday night near Sparta Avenue, north of 18 Mile Road in Tyrone Township.

Kent County Deputies say the 41-year old man fell 25 feet from a tree with no safety harness. He was pronounced dead at the scene. His name is not being released at this time.

WZZM-13 News will have more details as they become available.

Does anyone have the stats on how many people fall out of a tree stand every year? I was getting a couple of pumpkins for my sons a couple of weeks ago, and I was talking with the girl/owner. She told me her husband fell out of a tree stand last November and is now parallized. I know 2 people at work that have fallen out of their stand, and there may be others that I dont know about.

I have a stand that uses a strap. Last year when I was climbing from the sticks to the stand, the stand moved on me. I did not fall, but it scared the crap out of me.

Put your strap on the tree before you climb from the ladder to the stand.

I don't like seeing this at all, as I'm sure no bowhunter enjoys seeing this!

I own 3 stands, a fixed, a climber, and a ladder.

I always use the strap. My fixed stand is only about 10-12 ft off the ground, in good cover, with bushiness underneath me, so I have to admit I don't use the strap with this one (the strap is still on the tree, but I don't use it).

The climber or the ladder. always!

Also,

Theres using a safety strap/harness and,

Theres using a safety strap/harness correctly!

T

PS, I can almost see the area where this guy was hunting from my stand!