4/12/12, Lake Erie, Fishing Report

With bluebird type weather conditions today, my customers took limit catches of dandy walleyes. The only downside to today's charter was possible sunburn. We took fish that ranged from 15" to 28" today trolling in the open waters of Lake Erie. Our top five fish today weighed a total of 35 pounds. We started out with the plan to do some jigging out by Turtle Island, but the water looked too clear there to me, so we went right to trolling. We had good action in the morning, but when the wind switched, the bite died down some, but we still managed to pick away at them all day long. Our best presentation today was a #7 Shad Rap in Natural Shad pattern set back 45' feet behind the boards, taken to depth with a 3/8 ounce rubber core sinker, pulled at about 1.5 mph. We also caught a lot of white bass today, so there was lots of action.

Capt. Mike Veine

4/13/12, Lake Erie, Fishing Report

The trolling bite today was much tougher than yesterday. Having 100 boats, mostly from the MWC tournament, all plying a somewhat small area, really had an impact on the bite. It took us a full eight hours of hard fishing to take my client's limit of walleyes today. The bite really changed big time today, compared to yesterday. Yesterday Shad Raps were best; today I never took a fish on those lures. The fish were very high in the water column today and we took most of our fish with Rouges (three hook floating, short lipped size in purple/gold pattern) fished 30-40' behind the boards with a 3/8 ounce rubber core sinker 5' in front of the lure. We had to troll slower today too at 1.1 to 1.3 mph. I figure we were pulling those lures about 4-5' down. Since the fish were so high up, all the boat traffic had a much more negative impact on the bite compared to if the fish had been down deeper.

Capt. Mike Veine

IMG_7552.JPG