What did you guys do?

Capt. Mike

When just starting out(from scratch) in your charter business, what form of advertising did you find most effective?

I just started this spring (part-time) in Lk. St. Clair and the Detroit and St. Clair river. I did have 7 days of chartering, which I thought wasn't too bad for just starting. Once per week I would have been absolutly thrilled.

I have placed business cards where I could (restuarants and such) and also an ad on a website. Had probably 30 inquires via e-mail or by phone.

Capt. Mike:

I've been doing part-time on eastern lake erie for 2 seasons.

I only run a 22', so I know for some groups I'm too small, which is

ok...knew that coming in.

Anyway, as a result I have had a number of trips with husband/wife

or father/son. Perfect size for my boat.

I keep track of all trips, asking where they found me. I would say

at this point that 95% of all inquiries is off my website. I place

flyers in the waterfront hotel right by my marina, they all go during

the year, but no bookings off that.

Also at the local tackle store, but I don't expect much from that, since

his kid does trips too.

John

Times Two Charters

I too charter part-time for now. I do have my own website.

I was wondering where to best put my advertising dollars this winter and next spring. We do have a couple of outdoor publications here in Michigan I may look into. Of course there is the local yellow pages.

Was wondering about those packet of coupons you get in the mail, if those would be effective in and around the local area? Or even flyers attached to small local newspapers. Anyone got any ideas.

The biggest source of publicity is word-of-mouth. Over 90% of our charters are word-of-mouth. If just starting out, if possible, the best way to receive charters and new customers is join an Association; ie: Grand Haven Charter Boat Association, Chinook Pier, White Lake Charter Boat Association, Muskegon Charter Boat Association, or wherever; depending on your location. The small commission fee is worth it in the long run. Be sure you get in the MCBA book and website, if from Michigan. The MCBA does an excellent job getting charter boat catalogs everywhere. It is really hard to advertise in the yellow pages, internet, business cards or fliers around town, if you are just starting out. There are always so many other boats for people to choose; often shopping by price. It is very hard, and takes many many many years, to gain a customer base to build on.

I utilized a wide variety of advertising options and then have narrowed down by "trial and error" to get what works best for me. It costs, but it's worth it.

Operate a good business and word of mouth will indeed get you alot of business. Repeat business now accounts for roughly 60 percent of my charters, 20 percent are referals, and 20 per cent from advertising.

Good Luck!