Cut Rod Holder Holes

Boltman

I cut the holes for the ROD holders last weekend, cut two of them, one each side took about thirty minutes, even while the wife watched...hahaha I need to install the probe transducer on the aft, and then the trolling valves.......Yeah she's getting there piece by piece......The Rod Holders are mounted in 2" of wood and fiberglass, and 1/4 x 2" Stainless screws with 3M 5200, I don't think they are going anywhere....

IMG_7066.jpg

Edited by Boltman
Added Pic for Drama....hahahah

what ever you put 3m 5200 on you will NOT want to ever move, so i would not use it to "glue" something down unless it is never to be removed just put it on any screws or holes you want to be sealed tight.I am going to use to put my transom in im told you will delaminate your glass before that stuff lets go! jimmy

I hope this isn't a silly question. Do you use the 3M product to just coat the screws/bolts or the item you are mounting? I am putting two 6" Bert's tracks on the back of my boat to install pedestals in for a trolling bar. Thanks.

most any part of a boats fiberglass is actually a sandwich with some type of wood in the middle. If you do not seal any screws, nuts, bolts, holes, etc going through there, eventually over time water will get into the wood and rot it out. I have always just sealed the screws/holes to keep water out, not as an adhesive for what I am mounting. Your hardware should be more than adequate in holding your tracks down if done properly.

I used the 3M 5200 as a Sealant and an Adhesive, I coated the inside edge of the hole I drilled with the hole saw, with 5200 to seal the wood off, then injected it into the screw hole and then ran a bead around the outer edge of the hole to seal and glue down the rod holder and to bond it as one with the glass, I do not ever expect to remove these holders ever. And I didn't want to have water issues EVER with this application, so I used 5200 generously and wiped off the excess with a Damp paper towel...

And Yes the wife was watching, Funny I could hear her grinding her teeth over the sounds of the 1/2" Milwaukee drill, drilling the holes...hahahahah but when all was done, she said Damn that looks so professional....that made me feel good, I knew then she wanted to go shopping so I kicked her off the boat....and cut some 6-1/4" speaker holes....God I was having fun...