New Buffalo 9-16&17 HOT

Friday: Dad and I Started setting lines about 3:30 north of the harbor off of Warren Dunes in 120FOW hoping the colder water had moved in a little since last weekend. It had not, warm all the way to the bottom. Kept trolling out to my way points from last weekend and in about 140 cold water was found all the way at the bottom. Put my three riggers at 110, 130, and one bouncing bottom and my dipseys at 290 and 315 back set on two. Only ran five lines and went on to have great steady action till we pulled lines at about 8:30 going 14 for 19. With two small kings and two small lakers thrown back. The 10 kept consisted of 5 lakers (one being 20 lbs 37" which is my biggest ever out of New Buffalo), three nice steelhead, and two mean three year old kings. Caught fish in 140-160 FOW.

Saturday: Headed out with a friend from work and set lines at about 2:30 in the same area and depth as yestarday with the exact same lures at basically same depths. Had four in the boat right away and was thinking this was going to be too easy. But after that it went DEAD trolled around out there with nothing and decided to head back in a little shallower. At 130 fow we started to pick away at our limit and were throwing back most of the lakers. At about 7:30 we had nine in the box and as we were watching the sun set CHAOS broke out. Not a double, not a triple, but a Quadruple! With only two of us in the boat it was absolutley a riot. Somehow we managed to get three of them up to the boat netted a nice king for our limit and released the other two right at the boat. Straightening out all the mess on the deck the last rod decides to go and we released another laker right at the boat. Ended 17 for about 23 and didnt have to pull a single rod in! The catch consisted of 7 kings, 3 steelhead, 1 coho, and 6 lakers (released, with one being 18.5 pounds). Bottom line find cold water and thats where the fish are at!

Never changed lures so heres what worked:

DR on bottom: Trash can dodger w/blue and green mylar spin and glo (HOT)

DR at 120-130 Moonshine green flounder pounder

DR at 110 SS Mag Yellow UV Spoon

Dipsey back 290 Carmel Dolphin SD Monkey Puke Fly

Dipsey back 315 Mtn Dew SD BW Cry Baby UV Fly (HOT)

In terms of the number of fish per hours out this trip was my best ever fishing Lake Michigan plus I got my first Quad and my biggest Lake Michigan Lake Trout. Thanks for all the help I have gotten from you guys on this site! Ill try to get some pics up later.