Sorry I did not write this sooner, I just missed it. Thanks you to all that have already shared the many helpful tips. I love this site.

I grew up near Port Washington, Wi. My brother in law (now X..... dang it ....Sherry) dragged me out fishing all the time. I guess no one else wanted to get up at 4 am to go fishing. That is where I got my love for this big puddle. I sure learned a lot of stuff from him. That was the mid 80's and fishing was pretty good. Do you remember the old school stuff... paper graphs, speed indicator made of a sinker and mono tied to a pointer, homemade down riggers, all the radio chatter (I miss that radio.... sometimes) ??? Thanks Larry G. !!! :thumb:

Wind the clock a bit ..... I spent 8 years in Uncle Sams Canoe Club (navy 88-96) I moved to Oshkosh to be close to my brother / pheasant hunting buddy. Renee and I have 3 girls in college Heather, Sarah, and Crystal and the boy Mason (aka Mushy). The girls are part time fishergirls and Mason is well on his way to being a hard core fishing nut.... 7 years old and knows Lake Michigan lingo ..... I love it !!!!

Renee helped me land the boat of my dreams this spring. We got a 2011 Lund Tyee 1750 with a 150 Merc Verado with lots of extra goodies. I still can not believe it is our boat. Thanks Hunny! :cool:

Living in Oshkosh is a pain when you want to go to Lake MI, you have to go 30 minutes south or north before you can head towards the lake. I am pretty sure Renee is going to file for a divorce if I keep getting her up at 2:45 to hit the lake at 5am (kidding I hope). But on the brght side, The time / distance is the close to the same for Port Washington, Sheygoygan, Trivers (2 rivers), Manitowoc, and Green Bay. Plus the Winnebago system awesome for Walters. We have fished out of all these ports this year except Green Bay. We have meet many nice people along the way too.

I am an avid ( wife calls it a sickness) pheasant hunter and an ok deer hunter. Renee and I are both volenteers with Cub scouts pack 3615, I have a den of 10 wolf scouts. I find that to be very rewarding, getting the boys exposed to many outdoor / conservation experiences and to help them be good little persons.

I really enjoy giving kids and adults the chance to fish and land their first silver. 5 kids and 2 adults so far and more to come ! :D I am hoping to volenteer some trips (like make a wish or disabled vets) in the years to come. What a great way to give back to the sport I love.

Renee is starting to see and understand why I love being out on the lake. The early morning sunrise views, the peace and quiet, and the singing of the cable through the water. The smell of hot coffee that mixes with the lake air. That smell is way different when you are out on the big puddle instead of the office.

Well thanks for reading my personal ramblings, I hope you enjoyed it.

63 fish in 11 trips so far in 2011.

Keep your hook in the water !

Mushy's Dad out :cool::cool::cool:

Edited by Mushy's Dad
i type like old people

Great introduction Tom!

My fishing on the big lake started back in the mid 70's when I was around 8. I remember the paper graph, sinker/mono tied to a pointer, home made down riggers, and a bucket for speed control. Back then we had short rods that looked like cue sticks and super heavy mono.

Thank you for giving us 8 years or your time in the WORLDS FINEST NAVY! Where were you stationed?

Mike,

Sure brings back good memorys doesn't ! Never had the pleasure of the bucket throttle control. That puts us right about the same age!

I was trained in Jet engine propultion. I served on the USS John Hancock DD 981 (decommed and cut up) for 2.5 years, Assult Craft Unit 4 ( you tube LCAC they are awesome) for 3 years and the remaining time Military Police Harbor patrol on Naval Base Norfolk (unaffectionatly know as Little Chicago for all the trouble and it is the 2nd larest city in VA during working hours), we ran 3 of the 26' monark aluminum boats with twin 150 evinrude counter rotating outboards and a 23' foot boston whaler with twin 130s. Which I personnal had serious props out of the water hang time from a huge wave. Visited lots of ports and cool places but nothing beat the USA.

Sorry more ramblings....

Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for the great site.

The time I spent as a Boy Scout leader (scoutmaster) Was some of the most rewarding time I have spent. Keep up with the scouts. You won't regret it. I helped 5 boy's become Eagle Scouts and enjoy keeping in touch with them and their success.

The time I spent as a Boy Scout leader (scoutmaster) Was some of the most rewarding time I have spent. Keep up with the scouts. You won't regret it. I helped 5 boy's become Eagle Scouts and enjoy keeping in touch with them and their success.

Steve, Thanks for sharing your time too. Starting my second year and I would love see my son ( and the rest of the boys in my den too) take this all the way to Eagle scout! :cool:

Thomas,that is a great intro.I personally served in the same canoe club from 83 to 87, I was a GSE stationed aboard PHM-3 U.S.S.Taurus(google that,pretty cool little ship)so welcome aboard brother!

Randy,

GSM here. I love those PHMs they can really scream. I think the Navy sold those all off, too pricey I guess. I always wanted to be stationed on one of those. Thanks for the welcome.

In the mid 90"s I got curious and wondered how the phm's were doing.And what i found out was depressing,they were setting in a scrap yard ,stripped and ready to be sold off for scrap. They were probably worth more for scrap than the navy thought they were worth as they were made of aluminum and the foils were stainless steel.