Well, I took the boat out for sea trials tonight unknowingly. NOAA was way off with the 1-2 ft predicted waves. Mores like 3-5 with 6's and 7's mixed in. Anyway, headed out at about 6:30 with one of my brothers (Ryan), a coworker and his nephew from Colorado (Kyle and Alex) on board. Ran a 7 rod spread with 2 downriggers (spoon on one, f/f on the other), 2 wire divers (f/f and tincan/sng), 300 cu, 10 color, and 7 color. Headed out planing to run spoons for kings/steel and pounding bottom with f/f and tin to drag up some lakers. Started setting up in 80 FOW heading NNW into the waves. Got set up by 90 FOW. In 95 we took a small king on a Mag Blue Dolphin 58 down on the rigger. My brother grabbed the pole and handed it off to Alex for his first ever big lake fish.

img_3856.jpg

In 115 FOW we hooked into an 11 lb Hog with a white w/ white crush glow tape tin can followed by a glow white tiger sng. The rig was on a wire Walker 124 diver set on 1 240 ft back. It was Kyle's turn so he to have the fun of landing his biggest big lake fish ever.

img_3857.jpg

We made it out to 125 FOW and started turning around. Things blew up then cause we popped one of the divers, then the other started taking line and I ended up fighting it all the way to the boat. Somehow during the commotion, one of the down rigger switches got bumped and the thing let all the way out and then spooled up the wrong way. Soon after that we pulled lines and called it a night as we were all starting to feel a little queezy from all of the roller coaster action.

img_3858.jpg

img_3859.jpg

img_3860.jpg

On the plus side, got to take out some newbies and get them interested in big lake fishing, and there weren't many sea fleas.

Another random thought. I love Blacks releases. On my old boat I struggled for years trying to work with pinch pad releases and always had false releases, especially in waves. Tonight I had the rods cranked down to the water and didn't get a false release ever. But, they still released with that tiny king. Blacks have made my experience so much more fun, i would recommend them to anyone.