Diver leads

I have read some posts & talked to some guys about the longer leads people have been running on divers. Question is - do you only run long leads when running clean spoons, or do you do it with flashers/flys as well?

Thanks for any feedback,

Shane

We've been pretty successfull with 6-7 foot leads for flasher/fly combos and 8-9 foot leads for clean spoons. However, I heard not to long ago that a 10-12 foot lead for flashers/flies and spoons is ideal. Haven't tried this yet, cuz I just heard about it, but figured I might give it a try. Maybe it will change relatively productive dipsy setups into becoming extremely productive setups. If you're using longer rods like me, and with water clarity becoming a greater factor, guess you may as well use the longest leader you possibly can. Just my 2 cents.

Run slide divers and you will change your spoon high diver fishing forever. I have mono and braided slide divers rods for spoons. I really like them cuz i can put any leader out there. For flashers i like 8ft it seems to work, works for us on the boat, if i were you i would really think about some slide divers for spoons. 30-70ft was good leads this weekend on spoons.

Leaders for spoons on divers can be 12' of 30# fluoro Leader line.

For flashers on divers, than 7-8' of 40 pound Mono, or Fluoro.

For core or copper, 30' 30# fluoro.

We use the 30# Blood Run Fluorocarbon. It's made by the same plant that makes Seaguar, and comes in 300' spools.

Do not use Fluorocarbon fishing line for your leaders.

Leaders for spoons on divers can be 12' of 30# fluoro Leader line.

For flashers on divers, than 7-8' of 40 pound Mono, or Fluoro.

For core or copper, 30' 30# fluoro.

We use the 30# Blood Run Fluorocarbon. It's made by the same plant that makes Seaguar, and comes in 300' spools.

Do not use Fluorocarbon fishing line for your leaders.

Really good point Ken The Fluorocarbon leader material is different than the fishing line. But how expensive is the Bloodrun 30# leader in 300 ft spools?

I appreciate the feedback and will play with this a little more. I have been trying to tune my wire and braid dipsy's & was curious if a long lead would have any negative effect on the attraction of a flasher fly combo.

Really good point Ken The Fluorocarbon leader material is different than the fishing line. But how expensive is the Bloodrun 30# leader in 300 ft spools?

$30.00 I believe that's to your door? Check here. 300' goes a long way.

It seams a bit pricey, but I have yet to break it off. I was using 20# Fluoro fishing line last year, and it kept breaking. When it breaks say good by to a nice king, as well as a productive lure.