Downriggers: Electric or Manual?

After setting up my boat last year and going throught the droves of gear.... here is my .02

As you are on a budget...(most of us are)

I would go with with manual riggers. I have Cannons and after I fixed the stupid plastic wheel they work like a champ.

Spend your money on the bread and butter of fishing which for my small boat is my divers and my core (copper too).

2 tree's and holders for your divers are way more important then electric riggers IMO.

Having the tree's adds rod storage as well as more optios of differnt set ups to run..... Where as riggers.... are just that riggers.

First off, a big genuine "Thanks" to all who have weighed in on this topic. :grin: It's interesting to hear all the different opinions fishermen have on any given topic, and this one seems to be no exception.

At this point it seems like the majority here are saying electrics are nice but not necessary (especially for someone just starting out...) and that in general, downriggers add nice diversity, are sometimes necessary, but typically not the best producers. (THAT was a mouthful!) :eek:

I think I've narrowed the search down to some quality used [inexpensive] manuals and go with that plan for this year. (Thanks for the offer though, fenceman2ac!)

MAINIAC you have a pm.

Maniac this is something I would pay to see. smoke and all.

"But you can put your kids Zebco setup on a rigger and send it down. And it will catch fish, will likely burn up on contact but it will hook a fish down deep."

Id say go with the manuals, its not like your reeling up the weights every 5 minutes. I bought a 40 dollar used pair of rivera manuals last season and caught all kinds of fish on the old rusty things. Spent another 10 to add a counter to one side, but still magicaly caught fish when I had to count the rotations on the way down. The fish have no idea how shiny your riggers are in the boat 200 feet away from your lure.

Well, I figure I will add my 2 cents. I am new here but I've been fishing a long time in Lake Superior. Downriggers are a must in LS. I have fished Lake Michigan in the past few years and most fish are caught off lead lines and dipsy divers. We did catch a few off the downriggers when the water temps increased. In my opinion and from personal exp, dont buy downriggers like digi troll 4 on craigslist. I just got burned buying two Digi troll 4's. The add said used very little and in great shape. When I got them, one didnt even power up and the other had a damaged screen and keypad, I got somehat of a refund but sent the downriggers into cannon and just paid the 1200$ bill. Beware buying online.

If you are not familar with downriggers, buy a couple cheap manuals to start. I have 2 manuals and later I bought 2 electric. Now I have the digi 4 uits that are programable. You wont be disappointed. Make sure you buy riggers w/a strong boom to handle 10-12lb weights. They are much better then 8lbers.

Jim

Maniac this is something I would pay to see. smoke and all.

"But you can put your kids Zebco setup on a rigger and send it down. And it will catch fish, will likely burn up on contact but it will hook a fish down deep."

a couple years ago I got a 17lb King on my 10ft steelhead rod with 8lb test had to throw the boat in neutral and yank the rest of the gear but what a blast. More than once I have stood on my bow and used a casting rod to fish while trolling out deep and catching Steelhead that way. What I would really love to do is use my 8wt and drift out deep for Steelhead but have never found the right spot with a rod on board.

I am in the same situation as the OP. I just couldn't justify going with electrics. I wanted to make sure I this was something I would really get into. I ended up getting the Walker Lake Rangers for like 94 bux each from Cabelas. They had great reviews and fit my 16.5 foot Lund perfect. I can't wait to get out and put them to use. Good luck and let us know what you do.