Boards

This year I am going to expand more on my planner board set ups. Here is what I am thinking and I would like feedback as well as what is working for you...

I normally fish deeper water, out fo Milwaukee in order to avoid the crowds and charter boats (no disrepect to charter boats, I dont like the guys who follow charter boats, I am amazed with a body of water the size of lake michigan people still manage to cross lines) Anyhow...

In 2009 mono boards with a one ounce to one half ounce inline weights, killed the salmon when the August surface temps were 43 degrees in 50-55 FOW. This last year, the water never really got cold and mono did barley anything for me.

I was thinking for my 6 boards I would run the following, I am curious if excluding mono boards will do a big dis-service to my spread.

125' Copper Board

180' Copper Board

225' Copper Board (with moonshine happy meal, kills fish)

8 Color Board

5 Color Board

3 Color Board

* Putting the SWR on a board is always an option as well when the bows are feeding up high in the column.

Thanks in advace for your feedback......

Adam the water did get that cold in 2010 , I remember putting my coat on because it was so cold out on the water, In late july and august we had some real cold water in close . With the west winds and the winds changing ever few days the thremocline never really set up.

Adam are you a member of GLSF of Milwaukee?

On the warm side of Lake M, the copper was a top producer for the post dawn bite. 250', and 350' of 32# blood Run was best for us.

The long lines on the boards are a must have when you want to extend the bite after the fish drop down.

If you get a moment, finish filling out your profile (location). this will let every one know where you fish out of.

if you are fishing deep water and targeting deep water, you may want to go with longer coppers, 300-450. if you are fishing the top water zone out in deeper water, i think what you have planned will be good. last year with the colder water deep water fishing for me ment fishing the absolute top down as far as i could go. pretty non-typical fishing year.

fishing deep water out of Racine, 10 color lead cores and 300 coppers are pretty standard for me. this year i plan on adding longer coppers. you will get varying responses but a 300 copper will get you down anywhere from 60-90 feet depending on speed, bait, turn, etc.

I ran copper last year, but I ran it down the chute with no board.

I fish out of beautiful Milwaukee. I am not a member of the GLSF, I would love to but I work EVERY Tuesday.. I might see if I can get off for the next meeting and then sign up and join. I cant remember the surface temps below 50 last year, but I also cant remember what I had for breakfast.

When I am out deep I like to fish the upper colums of water, I prefer to set up in 180-200 FOW and work east fishing maybe 75' and up.