Drift rod for fall run?

Grady

I'm a Florida guy, and haven't seen a chromer in close to a decade. My Father and my Uncle have made a 30 year ritual of targeting steelhead on the Pentwater, but age is creeping up on them and they're planning to fish for salmon in the early fall next year, instead of steelhead. Anyway, I'd like to build a pair of rods for the two of them, and somehow keep it under the radar. I was wondering what shorebound drifters use for salmon on the smaller waters. They've been using 4wt sage fly rod blanks built as spinners for drifting roe bags for steelies, but I'm under the assumption that they'll need a little more rod for targeting salmon. I get dealer pricing from St Croix & sage, so I'd like to stick with those two manufacturers if possible.

I have not chased salmon in the river in several years but they are not getting any bigger my go to setup is a St Croix 10ft medium action in 2 to 8lb test and run P Line or Maxima 8lb test. It won't drag one in but is easy to fish with and gives a nice fight and has taken it's share of decent fish.

Thinking something in a 9'6" fast action 8-15# line class. Will be a nice rod for either steel or kings. In St. Croix, maybe a SC96MF2 6-12# or SC96MHF2 8-15#. Sage has a nice spin blank for steel/salmon CT296 8-17#, very pricey and probably not much or any better than the St. Croix. Batson Rainshadow, and Lamiglas also make equal good quality stuff and much less cost. For that matter, the new MHX blanks are very comparible to the Loomis GLX series of blanks and at a cost that is unbelievable low. Good luck and have fun.

Tony Childs

Eyefull Custom Rods

I really appreciate the info guys. I'm probably going to stick with the St. Croix blanks, since I'd have to pay retail for the imports, and I only get a limited number of sage blanks per calender year. Not to mention my Dad and Uncle would both have a stroke if they found out they were fishing with blanks made outside the US. ( They're funny guys and both spent 30+ years at GM, and it's an issue for them).

Another quick question, I build their steelhead gear with tennesee handles and graphite bands so that they don't have bare metal on their hands while they fish in the brutal conditions you guys have in the late fall. Is this an issue earlier in the season?

Bill, be aware that many St. Croix blanks are made overseas now to, more and more all the time. No rhyme or reason, some high end and some low end. I won't tell if you don't:D. Hopefully you get a huge discount on the Sage stuff. I have built on and fished a couple of them, can't say I see any advantage over many other quality blanks at a fraction of the cost. Nothing wrong with them or against them, just didn't see any reason for them to cost $350 for just the blank. If you get a big enough discount that the price is at or around a St. Croix, now your talking:thumb:.

Bill, be aware that many St. Croix blanks are made overseas now to, more and more all the time. No rhyme or reason, some high end and some low end. I won't tell if you don't:D. Hopefully you get a huge discount on the Sage stuff. I have built on and fished a couple of them, can't say I see any advantage over many other quality blanks at a fraction of the cost. Nothing wrong with them or against them, just didn't see any reason for them to cost $350 for just the blank. If you get a big enough discount that the price is at or around a St. Croix, now your talking:thumb:.

It's really just their thing, I use what I like and try not to pay much attention to where it's made.

-I do get a pretty sweet deal on sage blanks, but I only get a limited number of blanks per year, and I like to keep those for myself.