Garmin 12 GPS Handheld

caznik

Well I been having some problems with my hand held here. I punch in a wave point and it will canncell all my wave points in a week later. I called up Garmin and they told me that there is an internal battery inside the unit. So this morning I thought that I would take a peak my self. I broke the seal and looked in side and I think I found the battery but couldn't get it off. Can someone help me out by giving me a mannual so i can tell thats for sure what it is in there. Also do you know if you ever had to replace your battery inside your self and how do you get that thing out of there so I can replace it my self.

Rich

Well I been having some problems with my hand held here. I punch in a wave point and it will canncell all my wave points in a week later. I called up Garmin and they told me that there is an internal battery inside the unit. So this morning I thought that I would take a peak my self. I broke the seal and looked in side and I think I found the battery but couldn't get it off. Can someone help me out by giving me a mannual so i can tell thats for sure what it is in there. Also do you know if you ever had to replace your battery inside your self and how do you get that thing out of there so I can replace it my self.

Rich

I told you it probably had an internal battery and that was your issue :D Maybe you had to many :ps-003: to remember ;)

Take a picture of what you think is the battery and I will take a look.

Rich I found this on Garmin.com

Not sure it will help ya.

Q. What do I do when my unit displays a "Low Memory Battery" message?

A. If you have a cigarette lighter adapter cable or a power data cable, plug the unit into a power source for three days (car, boat, etc.) to recharge the internal memory battery. If you do not have one of these cables, place a fresh set of AA batteries in the unit and leave the unit powered off for approximately five days. Once the internal memory battery is recharged, the "Low Memory Battery" message should no longer be displayed.

If the message persists, you will need to return the GPS unit to Garmin so the internal memory battery can be replaced. If this is the case, please send us a Technical Support e-mail . A Return Material Authorization (RMA) will be set up and returned to you via e-mail, along with shipping instructions. The RMA number will ensure accurate tracking and prompt return of the unit to you.

If you own an 8-channel GPS receiver unit, a marine GPS unit or chartplotter, or an aviation handheld, your unit has a non-rechargeable memory battery. You will also need to send your unit to Garmin for replacement under our flat-rate repair program. In this case, please e-mail Garmin using the above link or call Garmin Product Support at 1-800-800-1020 to arrange for an RMA number to be issued for the return of your unit.

As memory technology has advanced, many Garmin GPS units (starting in 2000) no longer require a memory battery to support user data.

Thanks guys,

I am probly going to have to send it back to Garmin when I am all done fishing this year. Is there another unit that I should get and sell this one after I get this fixed. I hate to replace the memory battery every 3 years I have it. What is the easies and good unit I should get if I do get a new one. Also Dave do you guys sell them on your web site?

Rich

Yes we do sell electronics, just call any one of us.

If you want to stick with a handheld, I have a Garmin 76 which is a great little unit. I have the full mounted unit on the boat now but I have used that handheld alot. I still bring it when I go out with other poeple and it has never given me any issues.

Dave

• 2 months later...