New to salmon fishing

mmst

I am very new at salmon fishing, so I am looking for a little guidence. I go out of Port Washington, Wi., and my boat is only a 17' Backtroller and no downriggers this year, only dipsies and offshore planer boards. So far I'v not done to bad, average trip is normally 5-7 kings. But that could be alot of just luck, but the last couple trips out not even a hit. The weather is getting colder so do I stay in alot closer to shore, like 30-50' or do I look for a certain tempature. I know it is fishing but a place to start would be a great help.

Well Matt Welcome , I fish out of Milwaukee , My last couple trips have been skinny on fish , with the winds we have been having the fish close to shore are scattered . If you want consistent action you would have to go deep, 240-400 ft.Once the weather stabilizes the kings should be close to shore. The run should be starting soon. Find out where they stock the fish in your area , and that is where you will want to fish. Here in Milwaukee they will stage in about 40-50 ft before the run and during the run they will be in the harbor and up the river. I have a good recommendation for you , Pick up a book called Great lakes Salmon and trout fishing(The complete trollers guide.)written by Dan Keating and Chip Porter. It will help you quite a bit on locating and setting up you boat to fish. Look for local reports , talk to others that fish up in port. Most guys will give you a general idea where to look and fish. If your average trip is 5-7 kings your doing really well. around here the fishing has slowed a lot . it will pick up soon.

Tight Lines

Jim

This time of year I will put the boat in early and do a slow run out of the boat launch until I hit 60 fow and watch the fish finder. If the fish are in say 30 fow 10 feet down that is how I set up to catch them. I would rely on the planer boards or directional dipsies ( the real small ones). Rapalas and J Plugs will work good up high. In most harbors you can try casting with little cleos or KO wobblers if the salmon are in the harbor.

welcome matt!

jim is right on. most of us rely on experience and networking to catch fish. The more you research and fish, the better fisherman you will be. Talk to some of the charter captains that are fishing everyday, if they are willing to talk to you. Location is one of the number one factors in catching fish on lake michigan.

I was in Port yesterday and the guys fishing the dock said they were starting to catch fish. They should be staging in and in front of the harbor mouth now.

The immature salmon generally "stage" as well. they will come to the same general area they were spawned in as well, just not travel up the river. They will usually be where the bait is.

hope this helps!