Transporting a Fillet Knife

I always keep my knives in plain view during transport wether in the vehicle or boat so that there is no doubt that they are there. If a law enforcement officer requests to do a search I always disclose the firearms and knives that I have and where they are. By keeping this in mind you should not have any trouble. Law Enforcement Officers appreciate knowing about possible weapons and will always give you the benefit of a doubt as long as you leave them in the open and disclose their whereabouts. Also do not carry a questionable weapon where it is readily accessible to a driver or occupant of a motor vehicle.Also as long as they are transported in a locked case there is no question about being a concealed weapon.

My knifes always travel in the trunk of the car or in the back of the truck.

When they are in the boat they are in front of the cooler in the storage area. When approched by any CO/Officer I let them know what and were they are located.

I would rather them know then to for them to have to find out.

This is a tuffy.

The problem typically is not with the knife itself, as I know very few law enforcement officers that would tag you JUSt for a knife as a concealed weapon. However, a buddy of mine got tagged for a DUI and THEN they found his hunting knife, in the case, in the center compartment in the truck. BAM, concealed weapon on top of the DUI. The part that sucked about that (not condonning his behavior) was that he could not bargain out of anything. The lawyer got him out of the concealed, but had no wiggle room left over.

I think the advice about putting it in the trunk makes the most sense.

If the knife is double edged (dirk, dagger or stiletto i.e. sharpened on both sides) and concealed within the vehicle or on your person then it falls under the carrying concealed weapons law. Michigan Compiled Law 750.227

If the knife is considered a dangerous weapon (obviously most knives are) and over three inches in length and carried with "unlawful intent" then it is also illegal and punishable by a five year felony. The big thing here is the unlawful intent, which going fishing or hiking is not. Unlawful intent would mean assaulting, robbing, threatening etc. Michigan Compiled Law 750.226

You can search either of the listed laws at www.legislature.mi.gov for more information.

If you are transporting your knife and it is not double edged, and not being transported with unlawful intent then you are fine. A smart rule of thumb is to keep it in the backpack, tackle box, trunk etc. and out of your range of accessibility. Inform the officer of the knife and it's location and your intent (hunting/fishing/camping) and you will be fine.

Holding it in your hand to show it to the officer when he approaches is a bad, bad, bad idea. :grin:

Hope this helps. If not let me know and I can answer any other questions.

Chris

If the knife is double edged (dirk, dagger or stiletto i.e. sharpened on both sides) and concealed within the vehicle or on your person then it falls under the carrying concealed weapons law. Michigan Compiled Law 750.227

If the knife is considered a dangerous weapon (obviously most knives are) and over three inches in length and carried with "unlawful intent" then it is also illegal and punishable by a five year felony. The big thing here is the unlawful intent, which going fishing or hiking is not. Unlawful intent would mean assaulting, robbing, threatening etc. Michigan Compiled Law 750.226

You can search either of the listed laws at www.legislature.mi.gov for more information.

If you are transporting your knife and it is not double edged, and not being transported with unlawful intent then you are fine. A smart rule of thumb is to keep it in the backpack, tackle box, trunk etc. and out of your range of accessibility. Inform the officer of the knife and it's location and your intent (hunting/fishing/camping) and you will be fine.

Holding it in your hand to show it to the officer when he approaches is a bad, bad, bad idea. :grin:

Hope this helps. If not let me know and I can answer any other questions.

Chris

So my10 inch forshner laying on the back seat of my truck is fine?

As long as the knife is not double edged, or being carried with unlawful intent then you are fine. I think common sense plays a role here and it's better to carry it in the bed of the truck, or in the boat because no officer likes seeing a large knife within reach of the driver or passengers, and you and your passengers may be removed from the vehicle until the officer determines your reason for carrying the knife and ensures the scene is safe. So my advice would be to carry it out of the vehicle, or safely stowed away within the vehicle.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Edited by DarkBlue
mis-spell

As long as the knife is not double edged, or being carried with unlawful intent then you are fine. I think common sense plays a role here Chris

Agreed, and I believe that speaking clearly and with respect helps too. Now when done fishing I usually put my fillet knife on on my belt, in clear view with no more intent than to fillet up a few fish and maybe whittle a stick or two. I would imagine that this falls into the same category. In plain view, and the intent is not unlawful. Great question, as I have often wondered about this too.

I carry my 10" and 12" Forschners in sheaths in a mercury marine duffle bag i won as a door prize in a tournament. Inside the bag acompanying the knives is an apron, sharpening stone and boxes of two gallon zip lock bags. The bag might be in the club cab, the boat or in the back end of the truck. Never really thought about it being anything other than a fish cleaning tool, let alone a concealed weapon. Interesting topic.