Fishing is still HOT HOT HOT!

Fished 7am-noon, the last hill out to 150fow just a little south of town. Great mixed bag of fish, salmon down deeper and still a lot of rainbows out there! Downriggers 50 down to the bottom, 300ft coppers, leads 3-10 colors, and dipsys 150-200 out. Super Slims on the coppers and cores, Spin Doctors/flys on the dipsys and riggers. Ended with 22, threw 4 small guys back and missed half a dozen more.

2010-08-06_00022.jpg

2010-08-06_00033.jpg

2010-08-06_00067.jpg

Josh, I have a question that is off topic. On our side of the pond, what is a weapon rod? It is different then a SWR but I don't know if it is a south WI thing and we just call it something else up north or do I have one and just haven't given it a name yet. For some reason I just heard of it now.Thanks, Chris

chris,

i gotta admit, i have never heard of a "weapon" rod that is different then an SWR. Where did you here of it? You have me curious now.

another side note, unfortunately i never made it up by you this year for the KD tourny. the new boat made that a little difficult. i plan on having a trailer for it next year and coming up. Its not exactly a "trailer boat," but we had to much fun last year to let that hold us back!

josh

Josh, I was talking to a charter captain today in Port Washington and we were talking about different spreads people run. My fly program has been great and he was getting almost everything on spoons. He said other captains have been living and dieing with flys and are just running them on weapon rods, with the remainder of the topic turning to ones willingness to experiment and change etc...... hes a great fisherman and when I questioned him on the weapon rod I assumed he meant SWR but he said that it wasn't. He hasn't gotton back to me yet and I kind of feel like the kid with his fly open who just doesn't know it!:D He's not pulling my chain I have known him for a while, just confused. Nice to see your having a great year, the bank has been hot when we were there june through mid july, alot of mid-teen numbers. Chris

chris

the only thing i can think of is a thumper rod(?). i know they fish those a lot in Port Washington. When you find out, let me know! There are definitely days when i'm willing to try anything!

josh

Josh, I guess its round lead weights of differing weights off of boards or outriggers. He just e-mailed me. I just called it running round lead weights off boards, I guess everything has a name.:D

My guess would be similar to a pump handle or running a dive bomb. real nice fish Josh, are you coming for brew city? I will not be fishing in the brew city just hope to meet some of you guys down there , Got company coming and we are smoking chickens , which takes all afternoon.

Tight Lines

Jim

chris - that is what i thought. i've heard them called thumpers and pump handles, but never weapons. They use them alot north of milwaukee. I've fished them for bouncing the bottom but not really suspended.

russ - i am not fishing brew city. my mom is having her wedding reception on saturday. kinda trumps fishing. besides my contest record this season has been less then stellar.

I have been very fortunate with my catches this year (aside from contests). I am putting all the luck on the boat. Sometimes i think that thing catches fish on its own. I really haven't (intentionally) kept the spin doctors a secret! I have had the green dot spinny on my dipsys literally all year. I have not changed it at all. My last trip is the first time flys have had as many fish as spoons for me.

The only other varible i know from myself and SOME of the other boats down here is speed. I usually am never below 2.7 mph on my depth raider.

josh