Dacron vs. steel cable

Was wondering what you guy's thoughts are on running a dacron type line off of downriggers instead of the good ole steel cable? Other than not being able to run a black box, I've heard the dacron runs a lot quieter (no hum) thru the water and there is a lot less blowback. What do you guys think?

I used the Dacron in the past. It worked fine when it was new, but after a few years it became week. A few 10 pound balls breaking off, and off it came. At $25-$40 per weight, you don't want to loose them.

I changed back to steel cable this year, when we had the slime and fleas in June the braid just piled up with the stuff and the cable doesn't seem effected by it. The 1 advantage to the braid is smaller diameter for higher break strength so u get less blow back with it. I changed to heavier pancake style weights and that solved the blowback issue. Like Nailer said the age issue is another negative on the braid need to change every year. It doesn't age gracefully and it is not very abrasion resistant.

Good luck what ever you try.

Thanks for all the info guys. You've already made me decide to stay with steel. I will try those pancake weights, though. I never thought of the fleas and slime. God knows the slime is bad enough trying to get it off before it builds up and won't go thru the guide on the level wind. And if it doesn't age well, forget it. Rigger weights are too expensive to replace when they break off.