Single Hook Spoons

To everyone that uses single hooks instead of trebles on spoons, what size hooks and what brands have you found that works the best for you. I figured I could go buy a bunch of different brands and sizes and do some trial and error, or I could just ask those that have, although trial and error can be fun. Thanks much.

Chris

We use Gamakatsu Siwash in a 1/0 size on many spoons and flies. They are very sharp and the fish normally don't get off. The only place they seem to be a detriment is on the lead. I think the combo of weight and time on wears a hole large enough to have them get off when you pull the board and have to give a little slack. They will absolutely up your steelhead catch ratio. Try some and I think You'll agree.

I would have to go and look for sure but I think I use 1/0 on standard and 2/0 on magnum spoons. Gamakatsu open eye siwash. I have been very happy with my hook-up to land ratio and they are much easier to deal with once the fish are in the boat. Also, it only takes 1/3 of the time to sharpen.

I have used 1/0 2/0 4/0 and 5/0 Owner and Gamakatsu Siwash hooks all work biggest issue for me is getting the spoon to run the way I want it. Changing the hooks seems to play with the action or something 2 years ago I ran all singles on one side and all trebles on the other Steelhead fishing offshore, fish in the box was close to equal however the trebles got a lot more hits. The singles stuck to the fish better but the fish hit the lures with trebles better. I also noticed pretty much the same thing with Salmon only I don't seem to lose as many Salmon as Steelhead so the trebles out fished the singles however on my fly setups singles outfish trebles close to 2 to one and nearly never lose a fish. The heavier spoons like Moonshine seem to be less effected some of this could be that I run faster with them down. As much as I like the Nitro spoons and Stingers they are a very light blank and don't seem to like going fast as well as some of the heavier spoons.

Owner and Gamakatsu for the most part and Mustad as a third option.

I try and match hook size to the spoon. Hook gap should not be wider than the spoon. The hook point should always be toward the cup of the spoon!

I like big singles 4/0 to 5/0 for flies and bait strips. For late summer matures a siwash and octopus hooks the rest of the time.

If you are into catch and release then use smaller hooks of either style and pinch down the barbs. In this case trebles would likely do less damage.

My favorite spoons at this time are Warrior. Very good quality.

H.I.H.