Fishing Safety

2UNREEL

Here are a few things to consider when taking people fishing with you. Many people loose sight of some of the dangers during a sport like salmon fishing. Please add to this list as I will not cover everything.

1. Train EVERYBODY on board how to:

- use the Radio channel 16. It will call the coast guard or anyone near to assist you.

- Location of all the life jackets and how to use them. Recommend they wear one. Make sure they all fit.

- Basic functions of how to operate the boat. forward, neutral and reverse

- Read the Longitude and Latitude on the GPS. This is key to get help in a hurry.

- Where the fire extinguishers and flares are located

2. Drive the fact in everyone's head that people are more important than fishing gear and NO ONE is going overboard. Everyone looks out for everyone. Grab them just because. I would rather get my shirt ripped off my back cause someone thought I was going over than having someone watch me flip over the transom. I saved my father from going over the back with 3 lures deep in his hand. He was trying to untangle them and a cannon ball got caught in a gill net. People on board watched it happen. I reacted and saved him by his ankles, it haunts me to this day.

3. Carry a leatherman, knife, clippers or something in your pocket to cut lines / wires fast. You never know when you will need them and you will find it very handy. Anything beyond a couple of twists in the line I cut and retie.

4. Watch the weather. Sometimes the best weatherman is you. Many many websites will show forecasts, take a look before you go and you may be able to save yourself from getting caught by a heavy front. Assume the worst and don't try to outrun a front cumming at you for 5 more min of fishing. Run into port and if it clears head back out.

5. Put gas in the boat. Its expensive but better than finding yourself 20 miles out with steelhead flying and no gas to get home. Some VHF radios may not have the range to call for help and cell service is spotty. Also waves can pick up fast and you might find yourself burning LOTS o Fuel to get back to port.

Very good post guys remember the difference between a great day on the water and a life and death situation can change in 20 seconds or less. For some of the newer members please take heed several of us have done this for decades and myself included often joke about stupid things we have seen or done this does not make them any less dangerous we just tend to kid each other afterwords. When you see someone having a hard time try and help them out. A couple of years ago I came in to the boat ramps and a husband and wife were trying to load their boat neither of them had a clue and there was a group of people standing there laughing at them. It turned out the guy had broken his left hand because he forgot to latch the winch and when he let go the handle spun and broke his hand. But rather than offer to help this group just stood there and laughed at them. My wife and I loaded their boat and then loaded ours now beleive me I love a good show at the boat launch as much as the next guy but you sometimes need to put yourself in their shoes. The season is upon us and once again many of us will get to see both the best and worst of our fellow fisherman lets just try to keep our efforts towards the best side.