40yd Bow Shot

GLF

Taking a 40 yard shot, not on a bet. In my opinion there are to many variables that can go wrong on a long shot like that. At that distance it gives the deer more of a chance to jump, wind drift, a small twig, like I said too many ways to make a bad hit and loose and animal. Thirty yards is as far as I will shoot, and I use a crossbow and acorrding to some are more accurate and easyer to to shoot.

I really do not like to take long shots because I am afraid of wounding them. I really try and get the deer as close to me as possible. I will let a big buck go if it is at 40 yards if I know that I will have enough time to hunt that buck. But last year my 7 point that came up to me was 40 yards and I only had 2 more days to bow hunt. So I took a shot and hit him right in the butt. Man I was upset because I thought that I wounded a deer. But after a half an hour, I got down and looked for blood and man did he bleed. I found him about 60 Yards in the woods.

My kill zone is 20 yards max.

Was I ever so lucky,

Caznik

I personally will not take a 40 yd shot. Not to toot my own horn but I'm a great shot with a bow.

I only kill bucks. I've watched many wall hangers at 40 yrds and just will not do it.

Somebody above mentioned something about variables.....yep I agree.

Last years buck took a double lung shot and flipped over dead after a 10 yd sprint.

I don't like tracking 'em for 4 miles.

Ditto on the 20yd kill zone.

Tim

I've seen too many deer wounded from bow and arrow. Deer can be killed everytime with a good placed arrow,bow hunters need to have better judgement before they let that arrow fly. When I bow hunted I would never think of taking a shot over 30 yards.

I've seen too many deer wounded from bow and arrow.

I have seen more deer wounded by a firearm than by bow. I have been to the shooting range sighting in and saw people who could not hit a 3'x3' target with a rifle at 50yds.

There will be wounded deer no matter what weapon is used. Everyone knows what there limits are.

i agree with most of the obove and will not take a shot over 25 yards {to much room for mistakes} i like um realy close i have also shot around 15 deer at 15 yards or less and watch um die

but it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with