fuel in oil

I have no specific knowledge of this motor, but in general it sounds like either you have a super rich mixture or possibly the carb is leaking after you shut it off, and thus it lets fuel seep into the combustion chamber, past the rings and into the crank case.

I suppose it could be a gas tank venting problem that builds pressure in the float bowl and makes the carb drip after shut off, but a properly seated needle and seat should prevent that.

I can't think of any other way for fuel to get into the crankcase, but like I said I have not specific knowledge of this motor.

Before I did anything, I would change the oil and check it after each use just to monitor it and see how bad it really is. You don't want to thin the oil out, but you also don't want to chase a ghost problem either.

I was just thinking, what about taking a sample and sending it out to have it analyzed. I think it's about $25 and the results will be very accurate and give you the exact composition of the problem. Since it's still winter, you have plenty of time, and it might save you a lot of trouble later.

i had that problem with a 9.9 merc about 6 years ago,it was a problem with the fuel pump.might be what the problem is.were you having problem with it when you stored it.i had that problem when i first bought the motor.tore down the pump cleaned and reassembled,problem was gone.mine was flooding out.cant believe its much of a problem,its a honda:grin:good luck

i heard from a mechanic that it may be the thermostat..the pistons are loose until it warms up then conforms to the cylinder...if its not allowed to warm up it blows by the rings(fuel)so i will do maintenance on the whole fuel system and change the thermostat...thanks for the help

Usually carmel colored water is an iddication of water leaking in. If it was gas mixing with oil there should have been a shiny,film ontop of oil after it was changed as gas floats to surface. Ive been fortunate and havent had to do major marine engine work but... carmel color in engine oil in an auto usually means leaking intake collant passage or around heads,from worn out gasket or small crack in metal. .A cheap check is to put motor in tank or barrel and add food coloring to waterrun 10 min then drain oil into clean container and see if colored water got into oil, if not and it looks good then it can be reused till problem is solved . Good luck