Home made planner boards

N II Deep

has anyone ever made planner boards out of wood. the single board type similar to off shore or churches?

care to share your design? and if you were to change any thing?

last year we lost 3 :angry2: of the Church's boards, not sure why they came off. but by the time we were able to get turned aournd they were no where to be found. $75+ just floating away...

Jon

last year we lost 3 :angry2: of the Church's boards, not sure why they came off. but by the time we were able to get turned aournd they were no where to be found. $75+ just floating away...

The pins break on the church board which is why you loose them. This is caused by the line cutting into it as it the board slides down the line.

See this post, and my remedy.

I replaced both the front and back clips on my Walleye boards. I use Offshore releases and haven't lost a board. The only way I can lose one is if a line breaks. Let me know how the wooden ones work, maybe I can start a business, I have plenty of 2 x 4's :D

I built a set years ago took lots of trial and error mostly error to get them to work. If i had to bill my time by the hour probably had over 300 in the pair when done and still did not like them very much. I am considering building another set as I want something that handles long copper and and some other heavy setups better and have considered a set of Otter Boats just for the deep gear and stick to inlines for the rest.

has anyone ever made planner boards out of wood. the single board type similar to off shore or churches?

care to share your design? and if you were to change any thing?

Jon

I hear ya, I am working on a solution for the do-it-yourself guy.

I am a injectionmold maker and have been working on a "kit" that will hopefully be a economical solution to guys that want economical planer boards...of course the businesses that are already doing this have the edge,and I may find out that the retail costs are realistic. If this springs tests of prototypes proove to be a good board I will go for the forum/& other advertising...otherwise I will be useing some expensive prototypes:grin: As I am not in business yet I don't believe there is any voilation on this forum , and am a user of the current advertisers products. If there are features you would like to see on a in-line planer post 'em... I am developing a board that will have the features I want but will use releases from existing companies,I have a release plan that I am molding for my own use but will not swipe it from another company for sales...give me time to develope one. My delema is the guys that use the release vs. the solid attachment and pull at boat. We like to pull board at boat and thats the direction I am heading on releases.

I know this is long-winded but I'm a toolmaker not a marketing guy...:D bear with me. Maybe I'm nuts-Gimmie your thoughts good or bad.

GTR

Ok I like the Off Shore boards but they are too small and don't pull well with some of my deep setups. Personally I think they need to be a couple inches longer and perhaps a little taller with more forward weight. I have considered removing some of the flotation from the front of a couple of boards or adding more weight to the front. The problem i have is when pulling 300 copper or 300 copper with dive bombs they act like a jon boat with two fat guys sitting in the back. As such they don't get a good bite on the front and don't get very far to the side. Several times when tripping a diver to change lures they end up in the copper this causes me to say most of the seven words you can't say on TV some of them several times. They also need to be stable at speed for me anything below planing speed can be trolling speed. I read somewhere that the fish can swim up to 30 mph so not sure why people think they need to troll slow. I prefer that the front release and the rear be fixed so when a fish hits it or you want to change out gear you trip it and it flips over and falls in behind the boat.

Matt the problem I have with the Chruch boards is they are designed to pull slow my fav troll is going fast with the current this allows my top stuff to be hauling butt for Steelhead and my deep gear working in the current a little slower. My issues with Church boards are basicly I don't like the release which I can change and they don't like to go fast without diving and tripping this I have found no way to change. Since my fishing style is haul butt and cover water trying to pick off the aggressive fish and my idea of slow is 2.5 mph I am stuck trying to find a balance that works. The only issues I had with my setup this last season was I had to heavy of a clip on my outside boards and they often would not release I will solve that by putting on the black clips which I changed because they tripped to easy pulling copper and full core's. The other issue is getting the heavy gear to track better which I am sure will require a bigger board or at least some mods to what I have to get more weight forward so the front digs in and pulls them to the side. I have a simple fix but it makes putting the board on and off a bit of a PITA which the last thing I want is fumbleing around trying to remove a board with a fish on.

Well for one I am cheap LOL actually I have been considering them but my KISS concept leaves me fine tuning each peice for what I want it to do. The issue I have had with the adjustable releases over the years is getting everyone to set them the same way for each setup. I think just setting up a couple boards to run light releases and a couple to run medium releases and a couple to run heavy releases may be simpler in the long run. The same thing applies to down rigger releases I have been fishing for Salmon over 40 years on lake MI and there is no universal anything. If there was by now we would all fish exactly the same way with the same gear. Also I fish with a lot of friends and family and get tired of being the only one who can set the gear much of the time. So being able to Clip the release on the line so the line is in the middle of the pads and matching the release to the intended job makes it simple and no one has to think they can just clip it on and go. Everything on my setups is purpose driven if you see the light tackle rods in my down riggers you can bet I changed the releases ( ask Jay how many times he tried cranking the rods down and tripped them) . This makes it simple all the releases are set the same way I just use differant releases for differant setups. Once in a while we make a change on the fly and have to adjust for it by setting the line deep or shallow. But for me I like pinch pad releases no real adjustments to make no learning curve to figure out just clip it on the line and go.

• 2 weeks later...