Dodger distance

How far behind the ball do you run your dodger/flashers? I was looking at a squid package that recommends 48"-60" back. I've always run them at least twice that far, if not further. Also, am I correct in saying that the further back, the slower the roll? Different lengths for different size hootchie/spin docs? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mark,

When I run my dodgers behind my cannon balls. I just put them 6-10 foot behind the balls. Now for the Spin doctors I will run them the same distance to. As for the hootchies, I run them the same distance to. But I have herd of fishermen running them a long way back in closer to shore.

Hope this helps you,

Caznik

I try and run them about 10' to 12' behind the rigger ball - I think it's more of a problem to run flashers any longer than that as compared to dodgers. I can't say as I've ever tested the theory of losing the roll or "snap" with a longer stretch but it makes sense you would lose some :confused:

DAN

How far behind the ball do you run your spoons then? I usually try to keep everything about the same distance back. I'm not sure if it's best, but it does catch fish and I don't get tangled very often.

How far behind the ball do you run your spoons then? I usually try to keep everything about the same distance back. I'm not sure if it's best, but it does catch fish and I don't get tangled very often.

Sometimes its best to run a spoon further behind your "window" of lures. A fish may swim into the window and look at your baits, then drop back and see your trailing bait and smash it!

I am selling a book on the site about salmon fishing. Keating on Kings. This is a very good book. You can find it here.

Depends on what the fish are keying in on. If they are hitting the attractors I like the attractor and fly/meat rig to be the last thing they see and vice versa. I have run 9 rods all stacked with attractors before if ncessary (3 riggers, 2 diseys and 4 cores). Keep a good vertical seperation (+5 feet) and even with long leads they sould not tangle.

Dodger/fly rigs are run 10-30 ft from the balls,the deeper the shorter the lead length.

LJ & Les Davis dodgers have a distinct action that can be read easily on a wire pound ball set up(thumper rod).

I've found dodger/fly's outproduce flasher/fly's at first light & in dirty water(also down deep).

More thump/vibration comes off a dodger that's kicking back & forth with the occassional roll than a plastic flasher.

They each have their time & place.

H.I.H.