Linwood 8/6/09

Fished out in front of the marina today in 18-21' of water. Water had quite a bit of color to it as well as allot of floating weeds. Between the perch eating us off and the weeds we were busy checking lines. Water temps were right around the 71* mark. Action wasnt fast and furious, but we picked away at them and brought in 10 fish and farmed a couple more. Didnt land anything too big. Got one skinny 24-25" fish and the rest were all those 17-21"ers.

All in all it was a good season out there and i doubt ill make too many more trips, if any at all, on the bay until theres ice. Its time for "AJ" to head west and focus her attention on silver fish.:D

Our prodcutive presentation was 1 oz. Inlines 30-35' back, chart/orange w/#5 Bait Rigs Astro Brite Sunfish blade, Chart/Green w/#5 Bait Rigs Astro Brite Watermelon Silver Blade. We also took some fish on 3 oz. BB. Just let em out til they hit, lock em up and set in the holder was right today. Pink Beads w/#4 Pink Panties blade-copper back. Speed was 1.2-1.4.

Thanks fellas, it was definitely a great year on Saginaw Bay. What a fishery we have and im so lucky to live so close to it.

As far as the silver fish, you hear of a few being caught here and there along the eastern salmon ports. Up towards the tip is best, but not like the west side of the state. Overall it seems that Lake Trout and Steelhead dominate the creel from what i understand....And theres nothing wrong with that. Theyre lots of fun, but nothing can compare to the drag smoking run a big king dishes out, which is why i trek a couple hours over to Ludington or Manistee. Theyre just so much fun to catch. I really would love to see the Kings come back over here. When we had the charter we'd fish walleye till mid July then head to either Port Austin or Oscoda and chase salmon and trout to finish out the open water season. Man, those were the days. Nothing better than fishing a month strait without a day off!!!:grin:

Good run this season Adam.

I got trips booked right up until the last of August and starting to discourage a few that wanted to fish in September. Historically, to many (on again-off again) bites during that time. But I plan on making an effort this year to get out a few times in November on the Bay and see if I can establish both a reliable technique and location pattern for those bigger walleyes. I know my cousin Mike hits them on occassion, but I think he's only scratched the surface of this late fall fishery. :P;)