St. Ignace and Cedarville Questions

The boss and I are heading up to Mackinac Island on wednesday and thursday. According to the DNR reports the lake herring have shown up in McKay Bay and my wife would like to fish for them. That means taking the boat along. Here are my questions: What would be the best option for taking the boat? We are staying on the island wednesday night so I would either have to leave it hooked up to the truck overnight in the parking lot of the ferry, take the boat over and leave it at the marina or find someplace secure where I could unhook and store it. What would you do? Also, has anyone ever launched out of Cedarville? Any problems for my 22' Sportcraft? Any problems getting to the Bay? Thanks in advance.

Nick

Hessel is the best bet for you to launch a boat that size, You can look at the cedarville launch but I don't know.. the water is coming up, but I don't think far enough

Nick,

Here are a few options:

1. The marina in St.Ignace is a very short walk from the arnold line dock (my preferred line).

2. The municipal launch is a very short walk to Star Line and Sheplers.

3. Sheplers has probalby the best parking for a truck and trailer.

I would feel reasonably safe if you can lock your boat up especially still attached to the truck. My best guess would be to park it in the marina parking lot. It's right on main street. That's both good and bad I guess high visibiltiy works both ways. :) The marina doesn't have a launch.

I've done the herring a couple times. They put a great fight but have a very soft mouth. Last time we hooked up a lot but my catch ratio wasn't so hot. It's great action if you get into them. Good Luck. I might try during the week. I'll let you know if I do.

When you say marina do you mean a place with slips? Will they let me park there and is there a fee? I haven't been to the area since I was a kid and don't really know where anything is. There won't be much on the boat, just a handful of rods and lite tackle. All of the trolling gear and tackle has been removed. I like the idea of parking at the marina and leaving it hooked up. Thanks for the tips.

I assume you are leaving from St. Ignace by the way. Yes there is a Marina in St. Ignace, newly improved btw. I don't know for sure if they'll let you park there but when I drove by sunday it certainly wasn't packed. You can see it shortly after you hit "downtown". You may want to check ticket prices for the ferries. I think they are upwards of $20 some. The Island marina might be cheaper to slip your boat than take the ferry. Good luck. I heard that the herring are still in McKay bay but a guy I talked to couldn't hook up while the guy next to him with the same presentation was slaying them. Go figure.