I need more rod holders

ok ,i have 2 core and 2 copper setups on the way.

this means more rod holders...so...

i usually see dipsy rods run low and parallel to the water,and core/copper on boards run in rod holders that are high off the water.

my question is - do the rods w/ boards work better higher off the water?

do dipsy rods need to be low?

board rods are mid ship ,not at back.

what are the logical reasons for where the rods are located?

thanks,

GTR

The reason Divers are low is they pull hard all day and if you lay your rods out right your rigger rods will be bent over the back the divers will be low and to the side and your will start low and back and work high and forward as they get further from the boat. This allows you to work the spread without messing up any other lines. If you get a fish on your outside board the fish will take the board back keep the rod tip up till it is behind the boat and fight the fish behind the boat this way you can leave all the other rods fishing. When you reset the board send it behind the boat untill it is far enough back to clear the other boards and then set it in the holder it will swim right back into place.

Oh yea don't skimp on rod holders for divers the cheap ones will fail and you will be missing a rod. I will cuss if you put one of my diver rods in the wrong holder was fishing with a friend a few years back and while fighting a dbl we noticed one of his diver rods was gone rod holder and all just snapped off so the cheap rod holder cost him a complete setup.

Triple mount holders are nice but I prefer the rod trees. I have fished both and the trees are more user friendly and function better. Take a look at the trees offered by different companies, you won't be disappointed.

Take a close look at the Traxstech trees. (Yes I'm Biased) but the main advantage that have is the functionality of the holders on the tree. The holders are adjustable and so is the tree so you can us all the holders for boards or us the lower holder for a dipsy and the rest for boards and you can tilt the holders up and turn in the tree for rod storage at the dock or while running. They are great. Also you can mount a 48" track down the side and add more holders and move the tree where it is most functional.

I added the great lakes planers rod trees to my boat and I couldnt be happier. In my opinion if you dont have an arch to mount rod holders to run planers a rod tree is the only way to go.

Thanks guys.

WOW the price on them trees be salty!

Maybe im sensative,due to the recent purchases.( AP and 2copper 2core & churchboards)

I may have to wait , get by or use my toolmaker skills and fab my own up.

I do like the tree style vs. those cluster setups.

GTR

• 3 weeks later...

dsc01361.jpg

Well I came up with this for rod trees,they arnt the prettyest , but thet should get the job done.

The aluminum was free and I did the welding machining and welding.Wish I had TIG instead of MIG welded,but there done.:)

Time to get fishing.