Still sorta new

Hello evryone,

I joined the site a while back and just started reading everything on here. I think this is the friendliest site I have ever seen. Very nice lay out, easy to use also. I am originally from Ohio but moved to South West Michigan 5 years ago. I used to do the walleye thing on Erie back in the hey days of the late 70's and early 80's so trolling isn't new to me. We never ran all the stuff that seems to be required to fish Lake Michigan though so I have alot to learn. I got bit by the steel bug first and have been playing on the rivers. Last year I bought a boat so I could expand my fishing time. I picked up a 17' 1978 unknown with side console, 70 hp johnson with 9.9 kicker. It is already set up with rod holders and it came with 3 manual riggers and some small boards. I had never seen that many rod holders on a 17 footer back in Ohio. I thought it was nuts until I read up on it some. The boat also came with all new rods and reels so I think I am good with equipment. I plan on staying very close to shore for my first year and know to watch the weather especially in my small rig. We had storms come quick in Ohio on Erie and that lake gets rough fast. I will probably run out south haven or new buffalo. I still have to find some ramps. I figure this year I will try to hit the coho's and maybe perch if you have them around here. I am thankful for any and all advice given. I probably won't chime in too much because of lack of experience but that should change as I get more time on the water. I guess my first question would be is there any drift fishing for salmon like there was for eyes back home??? Thanks again for the chance to learn and fellowship with you.

Ron

Welcome aboard Ron! The cohos should be showing up any time at St. Joseph/New Buffalo. When the cohos are in, the action is RED HOT! After St. Joe, they should move up to South Haven. Last year we had a sustained East blow, and it blew all of the warm water to Wisconsin. :(

I live near Kalamazoo, but keep my boat in Muskegon. Deeper water is a lot closer in Muskegon than in South Haven. I also think the fishign is better there. ;)

Dont be afraid to ask if you have any questions.

Mike

Welcome aboard Ron...

I fish out of South Haven most of the time, there are a few others on here that do as well. I also love going after the perch out there. I have never drifted for salmon but drifting for perch is alot of fun and you don't have to dink with the anchor. Let me know if you need some help riggin up.....or read through the vast libraray of old posts or make a new one.

Welcome aboard Ron. Take unreel up on his offer. Those guys really know what there doing.

There are a lot of days that a 17" boat will do what you need.

Like Mike said, the Salmon fishing really picks up in the Southern half of Lake Michigan in the spring.

Good Luck. Post your results, even when there not good.

Ken.