transducers for downrigger fishing

Hey guys,

I was looking to upgrade my transducer for a lowrance lcx25. I was told that i could get a transducer that would pick up both of my cannonballs while trolling. I believe he said that it was a 50/200 khz dual frequency, is this correct. Currently i have whatever came with the unit and i can pick up one of the balls on occasion Just wanted to make sure before i spent another $100.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Have you adjusted the sensitivity of your unit? You "may" be able to get your downrigger balls to show up just by turning up the sensitivity. This also helps for showing the thermocline on your fish finder.

I have the 50/200 transducer on my boat. Having it set to 50k when I am in 100' or less, also helps my cannon balls show up.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious why you need/want to see your DR balls? When you see them on your screen, it only shows the distance from the transducer and not the depth they are running. I have the DF for lowrance and it will pick up the balls if the blowback isn't a ton.

My lowrance shows the balls in DF mode or if I turn up the gain a bit. In fish alarm mode it rings all day long marking the balls so I don't use the alarm anymore. In auto gain mode it marks the balls now and then which is fine I honestly prefer it to ignore them and just mark fish.

When you see them on your screen, it only shows the distance from the transducer and not the depth they are running.

The same thing goes for fish on the screen also. Just because that fish shows up at 80' does not mean its 80' down. That fish is 80' from the transducer. ;)