Can a person be to helpful?

I probably get hundreds of E-mails per year asking me for help when the writer of the E-mail comes to the saginaw bay area to fish. I try to answer every one of them and help anybody out I can with what might be helpful info. But sometimes, this voluntary favor and the way it is asked rubs me the wrong way. Here's and example I got yesterday. This is exactly the way I received it. :no:

how is the fishing on the bay on 3-2-09 we will be heading over there tomorrow let me know where, how deep, what color, and what kind of bait thanks

This is an example of being TOO helpful. TOO helpful needs TWO Os.:lol:

Some people can bug you. Being polite and helpful, has a way of coming back to you. You are a good ambassador for our area.

PS I hope no one starts correcting my grammar and spelling.:lol: I was definitely being TOO Helpful.:)

Ahhh..... yeah thats asking a little bit too:confused::grin: much. I dont think i would phrase a question like that to one of my good buddies. I mean come on. I probably woulda answered with a response sending them to coordinates near Canada. That cracks me up, does he want you too help go tinkle out there also? At least he said thanks.

This is an example of being TOO helpful. TOO helpful needs TWO Os.:lol:

Some people can bug you. Being polite and helpful, has a way of coming back to you. You are a good ambassador for our area.

PS I hope no one starts correcting my grammar and spelling.:lol: I was definitely being TOO Helpful.:)

Come'on Frank. Your a morderator toooooo. Change those mistakes you see me make with your moderator powers. :P:p:rolleyes::lol::lol:

Dan, Not enough stroke to change a title.:) I know I have one coming. I'll be watching my back.:)

You have enough stroke to make the change, but lack the know how. ;) All you have to do is ask. :P

Well Dan, I have always appreciated the free info you give in the form of posts. I had an interesting conversation with a buddy a few weeks back. Went something like this.

Let's go ice fishing. me

I'm not going unless we go with one of these guys who has been slamming them! bud

What? me

Not going to waste my time if I know we can't catch fish. bud

It really rubbed me the wrong way. I love to catch fish as much as the next guy, however, hunting and succeeding on my own really feels great. It just goes to show you how lazy some people have become. And also how much these reports effect some people. I wouldn't solely rely on someone who I have never met to put me on fish. If we just happened to be out the same day and hooked up out there, I'm all for it. But would not plan a trip around that. I tried to explain that these guys slamming the fish have put in a lot of time and energy into figuring out where these walleye are, and noted that we need to do the same and it just doesn't happen overnight. Collectively through years of fishing we would be able to come up with several locations that we find that hold fish.

So in short I understand..

I for one will help any one I can, and I'm not afraid to ask for help either. When I do ask, I first will ask "are you are willing to help me out", then return with the questions.

I rarely if ever ask a Charter Caption though. (This is how you make your living)

When asking for help you need to be as polite as you can. Asking for exact locations is a no no.

When asking for help it's not a bad idea to offer some sorta compensation (lunch, a package of cool ones, or even a few of there favorite lures).

Keep up the good work Dan.

Well sir, I have to admit. I am the same way.

If I am into a good school of fish and someone asks for help, I will help them.

I feel there are plenty of fish there and there is no reason for me to be secretive.