SWR rigs

With all the talk about leadcore, I thought I might mention a new technique that became a craze about a year or two ago, the SWR rig.

Pretty simple stuff, start out with a 2 color or a 3 color leadcore rod, let out the lead and a few feet of backer and clip it on the downrigger. It should run about 4-6 foot per color below the ball. Example- rigger set at 40 with a 2 color should be running about 48'-55" dependant on speed and under currents.

Now the question is why?

Good question, when the fish are "bite shy" sometimes a lure below the turblance of the ball running in "clean" water may produce a strike whereas a lure 10' behind the ball may not. Very similer to the tailgunner approach where the tailgunner is deeper rather then farther back.

Just another use for those 2 & 3 color rigs in the later season as the fish push down deeper. Don't leave port without them. Try it sometime, it may make a difference.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of a 2-3 color leadcore, I've used a "poor man's SWR" as I call it. Put a big rubbercore sinker on your rigger line within a rod length of your lure(for ease of netting), and let it out 100+' before you clip it to the release. Gets your spoons far away and down, although perhaps not the same track through the water on turns, etc. as a leadcore SWR. No additional rod required, just twist on a sinker. It catches fish just fine, although now that I have a 3 color leadcore, I plan to try them side-by-side to compare. I have also successfully run a slider on a poor man's SWR, which I haven't considered on a SWR.

Matt

Yes Mark is right,

This is a great way to catch alot of salmon fishing in deep water. But make darn sure that you have that running on your deepest downrigger or else you will get tangled up. You also have to watch what you run next to it also. I ran a fish catcher next to it one day and oh my god. It was a mess. Then you will have to cut it all up and start your SWR rod all over again.

Caznik

• 3 months later...

Although I haven't tried it, I know a fellow charter Captain that runs full cores off his deep riggers in the summer to target very deep, wary 4 year olds. He swears by it. I think ol Sporty might be giving it a shot this season if we have to run out past 200'.