boat slips

I am curious about renting a slip in Ludington next spring throught the summer. Does anyone have any good ideas as far as price and location?

I just need to crunch some numbers to see if it is a good idea. Also, what about security, has anyone had problems with vandalism and theft while the boat is unattended for periods of time?

Thanks

Hi Mike,

I live in Evart, that makes Ludington a straight shot across U.S.10 about a 70mile trip one way. That seems pretty convienent.

I followed your link to where you put your boat and it looks like a very nice place. Depending on mileage that looks interesting.

Its nothing fancy. But it does have a fish cleaning station. Most of the boats in the marina are fishing boats.

Its 75 miles one way for me to the boat. I could have slipped the boat in one of the southern ports that is a LOT closer to me.....but the fishing is not as good.

Just doing a quick search, Ludington is about a 1 hour and 25 minutes from Evart. Muskegon is 1 hour and 50 minutes. Frankfort is 1 hour and 45 minutes. That means you could easily pick a port anywhere from Muskegon to Frankfort and be relatively close on time. If it were me, I would probably go farther north to one of the smaller towns. Onekama, Arcadia, and Frankfort are all very nice. Manistee and Ludington are bigger with more traffic, but also very good fishing. Pentwater is a nice, smaller, tourist town and there is a very short run to the lake. Whitehall and Montague has good fishing but a very long run to the lake. And then Mike has pointed out some of the things he likes about Muskegon, where I fish most often. All in all you have a lot of options. Might as well take your time, look for the best deal and location, and also check out the towns. You need to figure out what you are looking for as far as location, price, amenities and even check out who slips there. If its mostly pleasure boats you could have some problems when you fire up your engines at 4 am every weekend. You're in a pretty nice situation, lots of options. And I think that marinas are taking a hit along with the rest of the economy. They might be willing to deal. Good luck.

Tony I grew up in Big Rapids when I was little we left in 73 but we allways fished out of Manistee or Pentwater. Too many boats out of Ludington and from Manistee you can run south to the point and lots of great fishing. Pentwater is also high on my list as I can't ever remember a bad fishing trip out of that port and we went a lot back then. Onekema would also be a good choice and you would have a home port advantage for Mikes big event. If I was not 15min from the lake here that is where I would be fishing.

Tight Lines

Jim