Mono or Fluorocarbon

I have always been a mono guy. I experimented with fluorocarbon while I was bass fishing. I did not like the memory that it had.

How many are using fluorocarbon for salmon fishing?

My opinion is based on the type of fishing I do which is rivers,streams and creeks mainly. The structure is rock and trees. So my fishing line has to stand up to all the nicks it gets.

For about 25 years I have used Ande monafilament line. I tried all the others stren,berkley,spiderwire,firewire you name it. I always went back to Ande and my opinion of the others was that they were crap.

This last fishing trip I tried a new line.

P-Line [a fluorocarbon coating that insures virtual invisibility underwater, along with a copolymer construction for unbelievable knot strength and durability. Color: Clear.]

Usually on my weekend fishing trip to Manitoulin I would use 1 spool an Friday and Saturday and switch to a second spool for Sunday and Monday.

This trip I used the P-Line and was most impressed. It held up magnificantly to the rock and tree structure. I used the same spool for the whole trip, and I dont think I cleaned off more than 20 yards of nicked line.

The biggest disadvantage of the P-Line is the cost, it is about 2-3 times more than Ande.

As it stands now I would have to say that the P-Line is great, but I will have to wait till winter to see how it stands up to the Cold Niagara River.

Most lines have failed the cold test.

If all else fails I will go back to Ande.

Copys of this transcript can be purchased for $12.99 U.S. including S&H charges. Michigan residents please add $19.99 for state taxes. This offer void in Alaska and Hawaii. Just Kidding

Or wait for the DVD>>>>>:D

I only use Flurocarbon for trolling fly leaders. Ande at that. I use regular Ande mono (pink) for trolling lines.

I used some Berkley Vanish one time as fishing line. Yuck! That was the worst line I have ever used maybe besides Fireline.

I spooled up a spinning reel about two weeks ago with some Suffix line. I read all the hype on the package and bought it. Seems like pretty good line. Have not put it to a major test but it does'nt have a bad memory off the spool like most other lines. I like the way the wind it on the spools too. Very neat looking.

Good fishing!

My experience is that Flourocarbon just does not hold up. I used it two years ago and broke off more in two weeks than I had in two years. Stick with the Big Game green. Also in the test I did Brown fishing several trips there was no diffreence in the two lines as far as productivity was concerned.