Muskegon 8/17 am

1mainiac

Out this morn set lines at 6:30 in 45 FOW about 3 miles north of pier. Never got more than 4 lines out first fish came while setting up 32 dn on rigger 50 back Nitro Area 51 small king in the box. Reset that rod and set my dipsey's next fish came on dipsey Siggs blue green glow 120 back on 2.5 nice 4 year old king about 15lbs. Was reseting the other rigger when next fish hit at 28 dn on a DW green glow ghost brought in a nice 8lb king. Next fish came a few min later on a Siggs gold mirage behind a glow coyote flasher 115 bk on dipsey set on 2.5 4 lb king in the box. Next fish came on the Blue green siggs again set at 120 this one left with the hook don't know if I damaged the knot when I pulled it from the first fish or if just bad luck put on a new fly and reset it. The gold mirage siggs went off a few min later and brought another small king in. Going good 5 for 6 so far was restting when a fish hit the surface behind the boat my wife had seen it come up a couple of times while I was fighting the last fish but all my lines looked ok so set the rod again and the fish came back up ok which pole am I dragging it on grabbed my probe rigger pole and it would not release brought the ball up and found I had the line wraped in the release released the line and brought in a 7lb king. First limit of the season and headed home early. Surface temp was 58 probe was between 47 and 49 32 dn never went deeper than 58ft or in past 48ft ran about a mile north and south never left the area.

Tight Lines

Jim

Just got back in from night fishing same area 17.600 to 18.100 45 to 60FOW. Water was much warmer in closer 45 ft moved out to about 60ft surface temp was just under 60 compared to 56 this morn 32 dn temp was berween 51 and 49 compared to 43 to 46 this morn then my probe came off it is in 58ft around 17.800. I ran the same exact lure setup ended 3 for 3 kinda lost the desire when the probe hit the bottom.

Tight Lines

Jim

Depth Raider I have had it 3 years but still a lot of money to drop to the bottom. Fish were not as active last night but still there wind was coming straight in from west so it will be blowing warmer water back if it continues which should end the battle inside the arms for another month till the actual run starts to shape up. Sad thing is I just put a new battery in the probe the first battery lasted 2 and a half seasons the guys I know with the other units can't get a weekend out of a battery though I guess the new probe is lasting longer on batteries. But I bet I put 250 fish in the box on that first battery while batteries are cheap they do add up. Don't think I can afford a new probe so will be fishing blind the rest of this season I guess.

Tight Lines

Jim

Cool at least they really are lasting longer had probably close to 200 hrs on my old battery it was still working but kept flashing low battery. I actaully planned on buying one of the Sub Troll units but no one was willing to make a deal on one met Kurt at the Sport show in Grand Rapids 3 years ago and got a great deal on the Depth Raider it has been a good unit so far I beleive his company makes the Cannon units.

Tight Lines

Jim

I bought a Cannon speed and temp this year. It dose work good and, it has % of light at the ball. the bad things about it are; you need to disconnect the battery every time, and it hooks to the line in a goofy way. I have found my best down speed is around 1.8 to 2.0. Does this sound correct?

Ken.

I usually run my down speed around 2.5. I realized I don't even look at my SOG any more. I have had a Depth Raider for two years and only changed the battery once. I don't use it for walleye but use it every time I am out for Salmon.