1st Mate Pay

GLF

A first mate's pay is determined by his/her experience. A TOTAL rookie won't be paid anything and is usually required to run at least two trips alongside an actual mate to see what's going on. Once I "hire" them they start at $50 plus tips. First year mates just drive and scrub the boat. I'm a picky SOB when it comes to the back of the boat so that's my turf until the mate has a full year's experience and then his work in the back of the boat is limited to reeling in leadcores and putting out divers. After the first year the mate gets $60 plus tips.

If I have another captain mating for me I will pay him/her $60 plus tips and usually buy breakfast. Generous huh?

Paul Czarnecki

Free Spirit

Sounds about right Paul I have a full time mate who has just reached 16 and still does not get to run the back much of the time. This has to be earned through experience as mistakes are way to costly in tackle and customers. I pay him $50 for a half plus tips and will cosnider more as rates increase

I don't take on first mates who aren't seasoned fishermen in the first place.

I have a few youngsters inquiring, and some of your responses have given me some ideas what to do with them if I hire them.

About pay, I say NO WAY! I lettem work for tips! Just the honor of being on Sportboat ought to be enough! That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

I have heard some charter captains guarantee $100. If they are tipped $100 the charter captain does not have to pay. If they are tipped less than $100, the charter captain will make up the difference.

These are seasoned first mates or other charter captains running as a first mate.