Hey Capt. Crabass !

Cpt. Crabbass,

Doug, Please don't take this the wrong way, it is not directed towards you my friend.

Well I went and made the 700 mile round trip to NY to look at, and pick up the 26' Penn Yann, that you have all heard me talking about...

Well let me start this way. We left here at 9 am with my tandem axle trailer in tow, paid $ 25 dollars in tolls to NY State, and $150 in gas finally after 5 1/2 hrs. Arrived at approx. 3 Pm. Then the rain started ! No big deal.

First thing we noticed, some had removed the anchor windlass !

Then as we got into it more, there was extensive damage to the Port side at the rub rail. Rail was pulled away and crescent shaped cracks all along the port side, from where it hit something real hard. The underneath, there was a spot where the engine -transmission sets, that the bottom was "bulged" out like the glass was weakened and settled. Then as I was inspecting the transom area, I found a vertical crack right along the center line of the transom.

Now on to the interior.

Boat is extremely roomy ! Has a fresh water bait tank behind drivers seat.

When I opened up the engine compartment, there was a foot of water and oil in there !

Then I stepped down to check out the stringers, bounce, bounce, this one (port side is springy) took out trusty pocket knife, and went right on thru the glass and into the stinger !

Next, there is evidence of extreme heat damage.

Was told it was a possible lightning strike. (Yeah right)

The hatch covers, near the transom showed a burn pattern, enough to make the glass weak to the touch. But there was NO burn patterns on the deck where the covers fit into ! !

At the transom on the Port side interior, the was evidence of heat and smoke damage. But, the Trim pump showed sings of melting from the TOP! !

If there would have been a bilge fire, there should have been lost of soot and smoke on the underside of things in there.

The blower hoses where burned to nothing but the wire springs.

And I found the left overs of a "road Fusee" laying in the bilge!

On the exterior of the hull, there are numerous spots that the top coat is chipped away, revealing the glass underneath.

I admit, when I first heard about this boat, I was told it would be a "project boat" but, I didn't expect to find it was that much of a project !

When I asked the Owner what happened to the windlass, I was told "we didn't remove anything" Also the fish finders had been removed.

All in all, it was an expensive and timely learning experience.

Total Gas $300, tolls $50 dollars, Time, 12 hrs. x's 3.

But, at least I am not stuck with a boat that would have cost me 6 months and $5000.00 to make ready.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to share this info.