NH boys on Lake Ontario

So, we made the trip from NH to Olcott this past weekend. It was me, my friend and our wives. Had a great trip. Just wish it was closer to home! That nine hour drive gets old quickly.

We fished straight out from Olcott on Friday... started in 60' of water early and worked our way out to 280' by noon. Marked TONS of bait and fish from 50' of water on out to 80' the first two hours, then they started to break up into smaller groups in deeper water. We managed to catch a bunch of steelhead and kings, but the biggest was just over 15 pounds. We never found any of the real nice kings, but it was great fun. Most kings came off white spin doctors with white or green flies. Steelhead were taking the Savant holographic alewife spoon more than other colors. However, the steelhead red savant spoon was a close second.

Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday morning we spent in Toronto. We left Olcott with the boat and it only took an hour and fifteen minutes to reach Toronto Harbor. Nice ride beautiful city. I'll put the fishing report for Toronto in the Canadian threads.

Sunday at 10am we were back between Olcott and Wilson... started out in 290' of water 62' down on two riggers, 40' down on two riggers and 150' back on the dipsy rods with wire and monster rings. Had a complete blast for three hours! Landed many kings ranging from 3 pounds to 17 pounds. Actually had a double on one rod (cheater and main line) of two small kings. That was a first for us. Managed some really nice steelhead! Two were at the 13 pound mark and spent a lot of time jumping behind the boat. The girls loved it! Had one really nice steelhead that actually tore a split ring off the lure... actually bent the ring wide open... Same lures and setups as Friday were hot this day. One difference: we found running free sliding cheaters was working better for the steelies on the 40' riggers... they weren't as interested in the cheaters we had set using the rubber band method.

Went to Niagara Falls that afternoon/night doing the tourist thing and came home yesterday.

What a great fishery you guys have! Wish we could have broke the 20 pound mark at least, but no dice. Oh well, next time.

Yeah, when we pulled the boat Monday morning for the ride home, we talked to a few people that had seen or been involved with catches between 25 and 30 pounds. It was funny to us to have people calling our 17 pounders "small" fish. We are so used to catching 2 or 3 pound fish here in NH that 17 was crazy big. Hard to get used to that being small. :grin::eek: Hey, its all about the fun and we had a blast! The wives even enjoyed it more than they thought they would. I'm gonna try to get some pics posted here later. Probably should put them under the Fishing Report section though, so check there if interested.

I learn a little bit every trip out there. Eventually I'll get my 30#er.

One thing I will say is: the people out there are so nice!! Everyone is willing to share info at the docks to help us out and point us in the general direction of where the good bite is. It makes the trip so much more fun being able to get into fish without days of searching for the good bite.