Copper on a wire diver rod?

I purchased a used wire diver rod a few weeks ago and stuck it in the garage thinking I would replace the wire which looked pretty old. Was getting the gear together for tommorrow and thought I wold replace the wire and give it a try. Well it has copper on it the guy I bought it from said he used it to run dipseys. So I am curious has anyone used copper wire on a dipsey rig and if so how much would it affect the dive curve. What I am thinking is useing it for a outside diver set on 2.5 so I could get both wide and deep. Any thoughts?

I know a guy who used to have copper to run his dipseys. He switched to super braid as high divers and wire as low divers. The issues he had was the constant load at the tip of the rod with the soft copper. It would fray the copper one tiny strand at a time.

With that being said, it did work and run the dipsey. His diver rods were never in very good shape either.

I've personally never tried it. The copper is more dense than steel wire, but also thicker for the same load capacity(lbs test), so I'd guess the dive curve would be very similiar to that of steel.

Not a whole lot of detail, but hope it's a little useful,

--Jason

Copper is too soft for a diver line. Also it is too thick, mono would be a better choice with it's strength diameter ratio. Spool up with 1000' 30# 7 strand wire for your wire diver rig and you'll be all set. Wire is the hottest rig on the boat last couple weeks.

Are you sure it is copper and not steel. I was just talking with a guy that was saying the same things. When i looked at the line it was 30lb steel. There is a company makiny 7 strand steel that looks copper in color. what is the diameter on the line you have on the reel? it may just be 7 strand steel. If it is like the diameter of about 12lb test i would say is it steel.

No it really is copper stripped it off glad I did really poor setup only had about 30yds of backer would have really sucked to get a big fish on that. Installed 150yds of dacron backer and 600ft of 30lb wire did not realize I had just 2 small spools of wire left so had to splice them together pretty sure it will hold. Now if the weather and my scheduale will just cooperate will try and get some test fishing in with new setups. Moved my front down riggers all the way back even tough I liked the setup at first will fish much smoother without the wierd rod configurations.