Schultz, the last 3 times I have been out we have picked up perch while trolling spoon flasher harnesses directly out from the end of the shipping channel, not even a mile. The area has been very small and it's been almost predictable when we make our passes that we'll get at least a couple right when we line up between the last 2 channel markers(1+2, the outer plug). I have been tempted to try drifting perch rigs there myself until I hit a school then anchor but haven't for 2 reasons:

1) It's hard as heck to quit walleye fishing, I mean this is the good old days right now and

2) With all the walleyes in that area it might be hard to keep your bait down long enough for the perch schools to find it, you might just catch a ton of sub-legal walters.

One of these days I'm gonna give it a try tho, and thats where I'll be startin.

There have been some perch caught off AuGres near the hotel. I will not fish for them until mid September and into November if the weather permits. I'm whacking walleye, then shifting gears and slammin salmon. :)

I'm also picking up 2 or 3 perch on every charter. And as you can imagine the ones you catch on 3/8 Rattle Tots trolling 2.6 mph are some dandys. Along with having 4 banner years for walleye natural reproduction, the Bay has had 3 banner years for perch reproduction. The down side is the DNR figures most of them become mortality victims as forage or winter die off. Yet with having less pressure on them, both the size and just maybe the numbers will get close to what we used to have on the Bay. That would be sweet. :P:D