Three over our limit today.

The three over reminds me of two consecutive trips last year. Chuck and I were fishing on the Priority1. I had Chuck make a count and we headed in with what we thought was a limit. We ended up with 9 fish for the two of us. The next day we ended up with 11. I told him the fish cops will not understand your averaging methods.:lol: I recently put a Golf stroke counter on the key chain @ the helm. We box a fish the helmsman clicks the counter.

Heres a little more banter I took off my board on the fishing subject side of my post that may be helpful to some.

great pictures and I tell ya, if you get stranded out there, your glad beyond words to get rescued. Im so glad you do that. It could really be hard with a paid charter in progress. Maybe on the way in eh? I remember helping some young guys out of Au Gres that were floating adrift. Whew that can be scarey!!

Your fish still all on the rattle tots??

Answ: Yup. Rattlers still kicking azz and taking names.

I like that!! what a lure.. and your convinced they are better, as opposed to just different, then hot n tots, or the frenzy's, or bombers etc... if your still putting a tad bit of meat on them... that has to be key... now... this is going to seem like a dumb question, probably obvious, but if I knew for sure I wouldn't ask... so with your system, your run them all those diff lines at different depths? Til you get hits, or just at different depths period cuz they hit at diff depths all the time.. or do the active fish tend to be at a certain depth.. ok ok... thats all capt...

some dandy pictures coming in on the board....

PS any idea what happened to the cripple? motor konked out... ?

Answ: You cannot/should not run cranks at different lengths on the same Mast type planer board tether line. You are asking for a big mess when doing so. Making turns or reeling in fish over the top of shorter or longer leads is not the best method believe me. I do ocassionally run either side at different depths though to cover high or low fish. But with the Rattle Tots or any diving cranks for that matter (and the proper leads to begin with) you can accomplish that to a degree by speeding up or slowing down. Every time I see suspended fish on the graph I slow down to about 1.6. They float up some then. See them on the bottom speed up to 2.4/2.6 and they dive deeper. Have also been adding the 1/4 crawler to each belly hook. It's been working great. Rattlers diving range is deeper then the regular 1/4 tots. The guys in the boat we towed in suspected the engine blew.

Even mast type (when running 4 or more lines) have to be allowed to fall back away from the other lines for a few seconds before you start reeling at all. It's also part of the reason I prefer Mast type boards over In-Lines myself and deals with your question about varying line leads on the same tether line to possibly cover more of the water column.

The top of my planer mast on my boat is about 10 feet off the water. Then the tether line tapers down and attaches to the board at the water line. Only the very outside line you set and slide down closest to the board, is riding near the surface of the water similar to what In-line boards would be. The rest are progressively spaced up the line (closer to the boat) and riding higher off the water. And with all having the same lead lengths, they are progressively running shallower in the water column the further up the line they are set. So starting to pull a fish over them right away from any line released further out and down the line is not a good idea. I'm guessing that my most inside line attached to the release, the one closest to the boat, is riding about 6 feet off the water and the crank might be running as much as 3 feet higher in the water column then the fourth and end line is. So I'm running what is like an angled line of cranks progressively down through the water column. What crank gets hit also tells me something about where the fish are foraging. If I get more fish on the outside line (the deeper running of them all) I speed up to get more of the cranks down deeper. Inside line (shallower) slow down to raise them up. It's not rocket science, but pretty d*mn near.