Weather conditions change the Fishing in Saugatuck

5/15/2006

Last week started with fish in 130 foot of water then 3 days with out fishing due to extremely rough water. On Saturday we found dirty, sandy water all the way out to 180 foot and the Coho and steelhead in 220 foot. By the time we finished for the day, the water was beginning to settle out and clear and in the evening Chinook where caught in 50 to 70 foot of water. We marked these fish as we ran out, however we did not stop and fish because of the water condition.

Early in the week, fish where caught from 50 to 70 foot down with the same methods that I reported last week. By the end of the week we caught fish from the surface to 50 foot down. We pulled lures on the surface, behind 3 and 5 color lead core and some full core. We did not catch any fish behind dipsy divers, however the downriggers produced at 40 and 50 foot. We found that any lure in the blue dolphin pattern or yellow tail pattern produced and it did not matter what make or what size was used. Although we did not fish in 50 foot, boots reported that the best method was 3 color lead core.

I will attempt to post a fishing report each Monday or Tuesday for the previous week. Check back and keep track of the fishing in Saugatuck through out the year.

Captn Westrate, thanks for the report. Real nice of you to give us small boat fisherman some good, usable information. Hope you can keep it coming. I for one, really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Duane

Boat TIKI III