Great Day in Fair Haven - May 10, 2008

It started out a little slow for us but ended up being a great day. We had a 3" Perch attack one of our KA-BOOM Goby baits and swallow the entire back hook right after we got set up. How that entire hook fit in his mouth is beyond me! Then we went for a long boat ride working the inside water East of the chute and didn't hit our first real fish until 8:30am or so. We boated a beautiful brown that took our Northern King Glow Frog off a rigger down 7' in 15 FOW.

BaumerMay102008001.jpg

We worked that inside (10-20FOW) water for a bit more with nothing else to show for our efforts before finally deciding to head out deeper. We switched our program over to a steelhead & king program and once we hit 100FOW the fireworks started. We spent the next few hours doubled and tripled up on Kings and Chrome in 100-120FOW. It was crazy-fun in the back of the boat! Our best set up was a 6 color core fished off of the boards pulling a Northern King NBK. That got bit 4 or 5 times today. We also took multiple fish on an NK Orange Crush off the 20' rigger, a KA-BOOM Flo. red/Black Squiggles off the boards, a DW NBK on a 4 color core off the boards, a DW Steelie Cane off the 40' rigger, and a DW Orange Slurpee fished off of the 30' rigger. We released all of the steelhead that we caught today. The big fish of the trip was a nice King that took an NBK off the 6 color core. Here's a quick video:

Best speed for us today was 2.4mph on our Depth Raider. No derby fish for us today, but what a blast! Tomorrow should be even better with the NW wind that was lightly blowing all afternoon.

Nice Brownie indeed... I have taken coho on lake michigan, and lakers out of huron with that same color spoon you were using, only a different brand spoon. I think I will continue using that pattern until it doesn't catch fish....