The walleye run on the Tittabawassee this last year has already broken a few records. That may be due to much improved river conditions as a whole. Check out all the extensive work those survey boys I taxied around on the Tittabawassee for the last 2 years did on the river last summer. Makes me feel good about being a part of it. These new stabilized bank areas should produce some great fish holding holes and natural spawning areas in the near future.

http://www.epaosc.net/image_list.asp?site_id=3298

When we were there for the opener we check out some of this work. We launched at Gams, set up camp, and then went for a ride up river friday evening. One of the locations was just a few minutes up river from us. Near this location I spotted a Bald Eagle, no BS, the other 2 on the boat didn't believe me as the light was bad and all they could see was one color. I watched it, and it landed in a tree. As we approached the tree it landed in it took off, and sure enough it was a confirmed bald eagle. Pretty cool to see....

The eagles are so cool to watch. We see a quite a few around here especially when tourist season is over. Those birds rule. The other birds keep their distance until the eagles are finished eating.

Wheeler.

I've seen 3 bald eagles together before on the Tittabawassee in late November just above the Caldwell ramp. I've also seen an otter and beaver on the river. We also anchored near a 12 point buck sleeping against the Dows fence one after noon not 40 feet from us. He either was to scared to move or didn't care. He finally did move when Dow security came along on the road near the fence. It is truly amazing having this river and it's wild residents so close to such endustrial sprawl. :grin:

I actually, no BS, had 6 or 7 Bald Eagles in a tree at one time when I was fishing just downstream from Center St. Not that they listened but I told em to shut up a couple times because their chatting was ruining a quiet weekday morning....I see em all the time in that area, both mature and immature birds. Always stunning!!

The top of the foodchain is always most affected by contamination as many toxins bioaccumulate up through the food chain. The toxins persist in fatty tissues thus the top predators consuming all the other critters' fatty tissues get the highest concentrations. Bald Eagles making this huge comeback in the watershed speaks volumes for how much it has improved.