In my book spearing does not have anything to do with Angling.

20 some years ago the Wisconsin Native Americans began there walley spearing it made me sick to catch a northern with spear holes in it and gunny sacks of walleys laying in the ditchs with rotting speared walleys.

Does GLF support Spearing?

If it does I will be vacating this board.

In my book spearing does not have anything to do with Angling.

20 some years ago the Wisconsin Native Americans began there walley spearing it made me sick to catch a northern with spear holes in it and gunny sacks of walleys laying in the ditchs with rotting speared walleys.

Does GLF support Spearing?

If it does I will be vacating this board.

The reports I posted came directly from the dnr's website. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_10888-34956--,00.html I have speared for pike in the past. The last time I pursued pike with a spear was 1983. Its not my cup of tea, but it is a legal fishing method in the state of Michigan.

Great Lakes Fisherman is mainly a salmon fishing website. I started the website 3 weeks ago. Salmon reports this time of year are hard to come by, so I have been using general fishing reports for filler until salmon and trout fishing take off.

I will be more selective in the future with posts that I make.

GLF

Its not my cup of tea, but it is a legal fishing method in the state of Michigan.

Great Lakes Fisherman is mainly a salmon fishing website. I started the website 3 weeks ago. Salmon reports this time of year are hard to come by, so I have been using general fishing reports for filler until salmon and trout fishing take off.

I will be more selective in the future with posts that I make.

GLF

Mike,

While I agree that spearing isn't very sporting, it is a legal method of "fishing" in Michigan. I see no reason to be "selective" on your posting. While some may find it distasteful, others may enjoy another way to partake of natures bounty in legal methods. Just like snagging years ago, I used to enjoy it, then as I matured and found more sporting ways to take salmon and trout, I moved away from snagging and started light lining and drift fishing. Fortunatly the DNR agreed that it wasn't sporting and for the most part abolished it, hopefully they will likewise abolish spearing but until then, mentioning it as an alternative to sitting on the couch seems fair to me. I dont feel you were promoting it.

Just my opinion

Ditto to GLF and Midway.

I have speared a total of 1 northern in my life many years ago. I found no sport in it. I also have seen some awesome pike lakes ravaged by spearing once the word got out about the behemoths in their waters. Guys spearing limits of 10+ pound fish made me angry and sick!

I do enjoy the sport of handlining walleyes and many believe that isn't sporting either.:rolleyes:

And where is the sport in targeting spawing bluegill on their beds? Too easy. No sport. Still legal and done by many every season. I have seen some awesome bluegill fisheries go by the wayside because of this too. :mad:

However, until the DNR sees fit to change the laws, all I can do is what I think is right for me, while trying to pass my values on to others. Some will agree, many will not!!

And I believe that others on this site did find value the post on this topic. No one persons values should not play a role in the type of topics of information posted. If a PETA complained about the posting of any injury to fish, I wouldn't want their values to matter........

...................so please continue.

There, I'm done.

• 1 month later...

Small boats able to troll Tawas Bay right now. There is ice and shanties close to Tawas Point. The small boats are launching @ the Tawas River site. I didn't stick around to see how they were doing, but it's most likely a mixed bag this time of year on TB.