Stocked Salmon or Natural Salmon

I learned something I never new before yesterday on my trip. I was told the salmon we caught was one that was the result of natural reproduction. I was told that all stocked fish have a fin clip or the adipose fin clipped.

My question....how do they clip all of the fins of the fish they stock?

Summer help with sharp clippers?...(joking).

Seriously, in Lk Ontario, they are clipped. Location of clip indicates origin of fish. NYSDEC has estimated 50/52% natural reproduction. Here's an interesting Toronto article indicating Nat Repro:

http://www.zoo.utoronto.ca/lakeontario/research.htm

My gut feeling is that the natural reproduction of Kings is a driver in Ontario's decision to pursue the Atlantic Salmon Stocking at this time.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

A very small percentage of the Michigan DNR Kings are clipped and inserted with a wire tag in the head. Not every stocked fish is clipped, nor does every stocked fish have a wire tag in the head. They do a certain percentage at each stocking area. An adipose clip ONLY means it has a wire tag in the head. If other fins are clipped, along with the adipose fin, it does not have a wire tag. Each state clips different fins for different reasons. Clipped adipose fish ONLY are caught probably 2%-5% of the time of all King Salmon caught. Unclipped fish can be of natural reproduction or they can also be stocked fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there are too many of us who fish Lake Ontario are convinced that 52% of the Chinook are as a result of natural reproduction. They have to make room in the hatcheries for the Atlantics which will be about 5 or 6lb when they mature. By the time we'll be able to prove them wrong our present Minister of Natural Resources will probabely looking for another job. Won't be able to help him out because I doubt if too many people will be booking charters to catch a bunch of shakers so I won't need a first mate. Sorry Mr Ramsey.