salmon decline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

are there any concerns on the reported decline in salmon?is there anything we as a fishing community can do to lessen this.or is this going to come back in time.as a fairly new salmon fisherman who is highly addicted to it.i am very concerned about a salmon fishing future.

Everyone is watching Lake Michigan for the next few years to see what will happen. Lots of speculation as to what might happen, but time will tell. I am very interested in the size of the catch this year. Most of the fish I caught last year were in the 12-14lb range. I only caught one fish over 18lbs last year, and that was in May.

A couple of years ago, they reduced the number of fish they were stocking. Did they cut back enough? The next few years will tell the story....

I agree with the catches being mostly in the 12-14lb range. I only had 2 fish that were over 18lbs, and both of them came on the same July night.

Lake Michigan is such a complex ecosystem. One thing is for certain; the state can stand to loose the kind of tourism money that would be lost if the fishery on Lake Michigan declines to point it won't support good fishing.